• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

.dat file

round man

Often as not I'll open the file in notepad under the all files type and usually if it is from a certain program it can be seen in the first couple of lines of readable copy amongst the machine language,..then I rename the file with the proper suffix for that program and alot of times this will solve the problem. be sure to make another copy just in case it doesn't though

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
.DAT files are often the result of improper handling from the Mac to the PC platform. It happens when the desktop information from the Mac and the file information (the resource fork and the data fork) are separated into two identically named files. Typically the larger of the two files is the data and the remedy for it is to rename the file with an .EPS extension ... after which it will open correctly in any application that will open an EPS file.