• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dating idea

Colin

Wouldn't it be a good idea for all of the vinyl manufacturers to print the date of manufacture on the back side of the paper backing? That way we'd always know the age of that old roll/piece of vinyl we have kicking around, and know whether to toss it or not.

Printed every yard would make sense.

:help

Colin

Ya, but the cores often become separated from the vinyl when past the 5 yd point; plus, we often buy less than a full roll which comes with no core.

Flame

Wouldn't it be a good idea for all of the vinyl manufacturers to print the date of manufacture on the back side of the paper backing? That way we'd always know the age of that old roll/piece of vinyl we have kicking around, and know whether to toss it or not.

Printed every yard would make sense.

If feasible, it's an excellent idea.

Colin

Isn't the boxes that it comes in dated?

Printing every yard would just increase the price I would think...

Even if the boxes were dated, who keeps those attached to the myriad bits of vinyl?

I can't imagine that a price increase would be required; or it would be so minimal as to not be worth thinking about given the benefits.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
SparCal used to do that very thing on the inside of the core. It gave the color, grade of vinyl, code numbers and date when it was made. This made it very easy to track. I guess other companies didn't follow suit because it gave away information as to how old some stock really was. One never knows how long the stuff has been sitting on some distributor's shelf, not to mention how long it was sitting around in a manufacturer's warehouse.

I once got a 50 yd roll of some vinyl one time and in the box was a return slip for someone that had returned the stuff back to the dealer a year before I got it. That had to be almost 2 years old before I got it.

Colin

I once got a 50 yd roll of some vinyl one time and in the box was a return slip for someone that had returned the stuff back to the dealer a year before I got it. That had to be almost 2 years old before I got it.

Ya, I once bought some Avery intermediate vinyl for some paper banners and the adhesive was so dead due to it's age that the customer phoned me a day later to inform me that the lettering was falling off of the banners!!! On paper yet!

Jillbeans

I remember SparCal doing that.
I save all my boxes, and a lot do have dates on 'em. I don't use a rack.
You could always just write the date on the core when you first use it.
Love....Jill

Pat Whatley

Problem is that when I order that off the wall color from Fellers and it's so old that the backing paper has turned brown they won't be able to tell me "it's fresh stock" anymore.

routierracing

dating

My brother recently ordered decals for his boat from manufactuer. When he recieved them he called me to come over and install them. The were labeled by the sign shop that cut them and the backing paper and transfer paper were so old they were dark brown. After a little inspection I found a penciled on date from when they were made... April 1997

I opened this thread thinking it would help me with the ladies.

I do agree that would be a good idea. It would benefit us, but at the expense of the manufacturers and distributors; that's why I doubt you'll ever see it.

Colin

I opened this thread thinking it would help me with the ladies.

Heh heh; I thought of opening with a comment about that but elected not to. But while you mention it, here's a good line:

"Is it hot in here or is it just you?"

or...

"Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk past again"

I do agree that would be a good idea. It would benefit us, but at the expense of the manufacturers and distributors; that's why I doubt you'll ever see it.

I can't see it costing the manufacturers that much, and when it comes to vinyl failures and warrantees etc, I think it would tighten things up to everyone's benefit.

I'm starting to wonder if it would be worthwhile actually persuing this effort to the various manufacturers.

Stealth Ryder

Even if the boxes were dated, who keeps those attached to the myriad bits of vinyl?

I can't imagine that a price increase would be required; or it would be so minimal as to not be worth thinking about given the benefits.

Use a Sharpie and annotate the date onto the core of the media when you take possession of it... Takes what, maybe 3 seconds...

Changing a whole production line is a large expense and must be passed down to the consumer...

Techman

Changing a whole production line is a large expense and must be passed down to the consumer...

Nope.. All they have to do is add in a small high speed print had to ink jet data. They use them on packaging lines all the time. I installed one that printed 360 can a minute in about 15 minutes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope.. All they have to do is add in a small high speed print had to ink jet data. They use them on packaging lines all the time. I installed one that printed 360 can a minute in about 15 minutes.

Heck, there was a guy on s101 recently bragging about printing 10,000 a minute or something. Maybe this is what he was looking to do ?? :ROFLMAO: