• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

De-Lamination issue: HP Latex 360, Premium Photo Paper, and hot lam

Sir Speedy Damien

Hello friends,

I have an issue with my hot laminate not sticking to, specifically, the HP Premium Photo Paper (N3T48A).

I have a Royal Sovereign hot laminator with MacTac lam. It adheres to unprinted white, but if theres ink, no sticky.

I use the default provided Premium Photo paper profile from HP. I adjusted everything I could think of:
Temperature, optimizer, interpass delay, density, and passes. Ive played with ink density's and all that fun stuff.

It prints beautifully. No wet/greasy spots. Nothing.

What baffles me if the previous paper we used, HP Photo-Realistic Paper, laminated without a hiccup. Zero issues laminating. Just the quality unlaminated was the reason we wanted to switched to the Premium paper. Photo-realistic was not recommended for the 831 inks, while the premium paper is.

Any opinions and recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Wrap Colorado

Wrap Colorado
Do you laminate right out of the printer? I have some issues with de-lam on wrap films. Avery Dennison advises to put gas latex prints for at least 6 hours and more if possible.

MI Bearcat

We have the same issue. Wasn't a problem with the 260 but with the 360, the only thing we encapsulate is the HP poster paper or an uncoated paper. I assumed it was due to the optimizer and the photo papers..

Herrington25

Do you laminate right out of the printer? I have some issues with de-lam on wrap films. Avery Dennison advises to put gas latex prints for at least 6 hours and more if possible.
Someone from avery actually said that? We have had issues with delam but everyone Ive ever talked to about it just plays dumb.

DrunknMonk

Its a problem with all the latex inks, there is a wax in it to stop scratching, slow the laminating down to 0.6, and some heat helps.

MikePro

not an outgassing issue, not an optimizer issue. those "canned" profiles are great, and work as designed.
reason being the prints are dry once they come out of the printer (tech may have just been mistaken, being used to telling people to outgas solvents in solvent printers) and optimizers go below the ink but your laminate makes contact with the top of the ink.

+1 its gotta be an incompatibility issue with the laminate, or just needs more heat/pressure.
which laminator and laminate are you using specifically?

greysquirrel

not sure why you are laminating a premium paper. seems like a waste of money to me...the premium paper is probably micro-porous...that's why the paper does not like thermal laminates.

greysquirrel

last issue could be if prints have too much saturation on them....some people thing they need 400% density for a good black....some pics would help

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Just a thought here, would it be worth using the cheaper media for prints you’re laminating and the premium paper for the ones you’re not?