• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealer refuses to sell just parts

sidcon

Hi all, has anyone ever had this issue that your Roland dealer won’t sell you maintence parts? They told me they have to install them and can’t sell just the parts. And we only have one one dealer in my area. I just need a cap top and wipers like today. I don’t trust the chinese cap tops, has anyone had luck with them? I can’t believe they won’t sell them to me.i never heard of this before.

SignosaurusRex

Hi all, has anyone ever had this issue that your Roland dealer won’t sell you maintence parts? They told me they have to install them and can’t sell just the parts. And we only have one one dealer in my area. I just need a cap top and wipers like today. I don’t trust the chinese cap tops, has anyone had luck with them? I can’t believe they won’t sell them to me.i never heard of this before.

Which dealer is this that you reference?

sidcon

It’s my local Roland dealer. I don’t want to put them on blast so won’t say their name but wondering if this is standard procedure Roland is doing now? I just was floored they won’t sell to me.

SignosaurusRex

It’s my local Roland dealer. I don’t want to put them on blast so won’t say their name but wondering if this is standard procedure Roland is doing now? I just was floored they won’t sell to me.

Contact Roland support direct with your needs and issue. Maybe see if they will straighten out the crooked leg in your local dealer. Otherwise, I would suggest contacting Vander J, a Merchant Member here at S101. They are located in Denver and I believe they have maint. parts for Roland. You could ask for over-night shipping. You could also reach out to Denco Sales as I believe they also have parts for your needs. I can understand no warranty on major parts and related requirements, but Cap Tops and Wipers........ :( bullpucky!

sidcon

Thank you for the info. I need this cap top today was the problem :( and they wouldn't even give me a price, just said no they have to come out and install it. I should have at least been able to get a price. I will check with the guys you mention and thank you again. I did just find them on Digiprint supply but always wonder if they are actual roland brand because they use the same part number on there as their $10 Chinese cap tops too.

sidcon

Sad thing now is I was going to finally pull the trigger on a new VG640 in May with them. I don't want to buy anything from them now and not sure what to do with that purchase. It takes under 2 minutes to change a dang cap top that a monkey cad do and they want to charge me dealer labor rate to come out and change it for me? I feel like Im in a communist country or in the twilite zone

asd

what is the world coming to. just today I stopped at the hardware store to pick up a gallon of denatured alcohol and the girl at lowes refuse to sell me the item because I did not want to show her my drivers license. o well at just laugh an left the store.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Sad thing now is I was going to finally pull the trigger on a new VG640 in May with them. I don't want to buy anything from them now and not sure what to do with that purchase. It takes under 2 minutes to change a dang cap top that a monkey cad do and they want to charge me dealer labor rate to come out and change it for me? I feel like Im in a communist country or in the twilite zone

Yeah, there are more reasons than that not to get a VG. Check out the recent posts by klingsdesigns plus many others on here.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

If you want something that is user replaceable and super popular, go with a Latex machine!

MikePro

It's all chinese parts at the end of the day....
yup. you can trust chinese parts, since you've been using them all along anyways.

what parts you looking for for what machine? i'll find them and sell them to ya for the wisconsin rate, a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
If you want something that is user replaceable and super popular, go with a Latex machine!
You forgot to add disposable. Printer may outlast available parts and oem ink.
Don't get me wrong, We have a latex printer and love it. It is HP that I don't like and their end of life policy.
Not sure my next printer would be a HP latex.

MikePro

yeah, but you're holding it against HP for discontinuing the service on their first-gen latex machine that's now more than a decade old. still, shout-out to mimaki and their printers never going out of service.... or at least having a plethora of 3rd party resources to keep its gears turning.

flyplainsdrifta

yeah i feel like it has more to do with keeping that latex ink proprietary than anything. Sort of cornered the market on at least semi-green inks.

Maybe this is roland. I believe there are certain HP parts we can buy from Grimco but there are also certain things that HP controls the inventory on. While Grimco has the parts and can sell the install if you want to but the parts yourself you have to contact HP directly. So then they can put you on the list of machines that have been repaired by the end user. Starts to void future warranty issues.

Jim Hill

I was at the Roland dealer one day and I told the Service Manager that I needed a fuse and I did not think quick enough before I spoke when I told him I had install a New DX-4 head.

He asked my where I purchase the head and when I told him I purchased it from a vendor in Belgium he refused to sell me the fuse I needed.
He told me that it was not a Roland Head so that would void any warranty. I told him my printer has been out of warranty for many years and that all the DX-4 Heads are made by Epson anyway.
Roland Dealer wanted $1,120.00 dollars and the vendor price was $532.50 and it worked perfectly with no problems.

That made him really mad and he said Roland makes their own heads!

I know that is not true but it's not worth fighting over!

Jim

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That made him really mad and he said Roland makes their own heads!

Roland has always started these myths as a way to scare people into buying their heads and I think some dealers just believe them without question. They used to say that there were different tiers for head quality and they got all the tier A heads and everyone else got Bs and Cs which is complete BS. As a field tech I have changed a lot of DX4 heads. If I don't have a Mimaki head I will just use a Roland and vice versa. In Roland dealer's defense though, they are forced by Roland to sell them at that price. Their cost from Roland is around $800 for a DX4 so it's not like they are getting them at the Belgian price and gouging you that much. Their hands are tied.

sidcon

Im still fired up today about this lol and thank you for the replies and info. They are trying to say we aren't allowed to maintain our own merchandise that we paid a premium for and is way out of warranty? Its like Chevrolet saying we cant change our own oil or brakes on a 12 year old truck. Nope that cap top cant cost $100, its $250 because we have to drive all the way out there to change it for you and you aren't allowed to touch your own machine that you bought from us, its still ours even though you paid for it. Thank you Father Roland for the slap on the hand, I wont touch the printer inside again.
Thank you for letting me vent .