• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with a client that doesn't pay. What to do???

Jillbeans

1: Send an invoice via registered mail stating that they have 7 days to pay.
2: If after the 7 days have passed, and they do not pay, file at your local district court (costs between $35 and $50 here)
3: The magistrate will file in your favor (doesn't mean client will pay) Make sure you have copies of emails, photos of design/installed job.
Thankfully I have not yet had to do this in 24 years, I came very close last month.
Always get at least a 50% deposit. No exceptions.
Full payment is due when services are rendered, have that printed on your proposal.
Submit an invoice the second the job is done and wait for your check onsite if possible.
If the client is picking up at your shop and "forgets their checkbook" do not let them leave with the sign.
Even with net-30 companies you can sometimes get a deposit.
Do not remove or tamper with the unpaid sign, as YOU are the one who can get arrested.
Love....Jill

Deaton Design

Just walk in during her busiest time, with an invoice, and start loudly telling here, mam, its been five months now since we installed your window graphics, and you have not paid us what you owe us, and if you dont pay us today, we will be forced to turn this over to a collection agency,and we will also notify the credit bureaus of your non payment.
Down here, I would wait until after hours and remove the graphics and take the loss. Then call all the other shops and tell them I had to reposess my work because of non payment,and she wouldnt be able to get anyone to do work for her. Id take a few hours in jail to get even with a bi*** like this. I hate people that are deadbeats.

Pat Whatley

Sure, go on and remove them....that way you get to do the work of printing them, installing them and removing them all for free. Once you pull them down the game is over and you've lost.

I don't know how BC law works but I'd try a phone call to the local district attorney/sheriffs office/police department and ask them what they can do to help you recover the property and your time that has essentially been stolen. Also ask them what YOU can legally do.

Personally I've had very good results with just showing up and nicely asking for payment, even a partial one. No need to get rude about it but don't be a pansy either.

mark in tx

You have to go in person, and give her the bill.
Several times if needed.
Might be out of your comfort zone, but remember, that is food on your table the customer just stole from you.

javila

Send a bill with a letter stating next contact will be through lawyer for small claims court. Give it a few days. You'll most likely get paid.

If not, then proceed with small claims court.

weaselboogie

This is just my id speaking, but I've always wanted to go to a customer's place of business and bust-up an equivalent dollar amount of their merchandise, then toss the invoice on the big pile of broken shit. Yeehaw lets go drinkin'!

more great advice from "Slosh"...

how can you be out doing stuff like that on a Sunday Slosh? i thought that was when you go to church...you are the one who brought up Christianity and you do more unchristian things than any non christian i know

omgsideburns

Just walk in during her busiest time, with an invoice, and start loudly telling here, mam, its been five months now since we installed your window graphics, and you have not paid us what you owe us, and if you dont pay us today, we will be forced to turn this over to a collection agency,and we will also notify the credit bureaus of your non payment.
Down here, I would wait until after hours and remove the graphics and take the loss. Then call all the other shops and tell them I had to reposess my work because of non payment,and she wouldnt be able to get anyone to do work for her. Id take a few hours in jail to get even with a bi*** like this. I hate people that are deadbeats.

That's how it's done around here.

Pat Whatley

This is just my id speaking, but I've always wanted to go to a customer's place of business and bust-up an equivalent dollar amount of their merchandise, then toss the invoice on the big pile of broken shit. Yeehaw lets go drinkin'!

Have I mentioned that you need to run for Congress,lately?

Deaton Design

Personally I've had very good results with just showing up and nicely asking for payment, even a partial one. No need to get rude about it but don't be a pansy either.

Its been five months Pat. The time for not being rude about it went away four months ago, lol. This woman has no intention of paying for this, or she would have already.

JR's

man that is funny, I would like to do that to some but I don't have the balls. And I hate asking for my money.

JR

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like Deaton's way. I've done that myself in the past at a few places. It really does work. You have to be careful though. that someone there isn't bigger than you and runs your butt off the property.

Here's another approach we've used that also works well. We keep the red panel free so we can add anyone's name to it. We haven't used it much lately, since we've taken some other measures to insure payment. Stick this out front of your shop and see how fast you get paid. If you don't hear anything within a day or two.... call the guy and tell him what you've done for him by adding to his advertising program. :rolleyes:
blu nails.jpg

iSign

man that is funny, I would like to do that to some but I don't have the balls. And I hate asking for my money.

JR
it ain't the balls you're lacking... (anyone named JR has balls right?)... it's another missing ingredient...

:bushmill::bushmill::bushmill:
Now go breakschitt

Mikeifg

Nice design. I would go face to face one last time durring their busy time. If your still not paid then tear it down piece by piece like was mentioned before. I'd make it look really awful so then they wil get the point or have to remve the rest their selves. Then make signs about them not paying heck even start a deadbeat website I know people aroundhere that do that.

signtologist

I have one for a women that owns a little retail shop. I did a nice clean basic design.
Reverse cut white for glass. She took ages to get back to me on the final design but I didn't mind some people are like that. When I finally asked on a Friday if 'this job is a go' She replied yes. I cut all the vinyl($95. a F*#@n' deal)). On Monday she decided that the whole process took to long. I'm thinking 3 days?< too long. She says she doesn't want to do the graphics anymore. I told her no problem, I'll send her the vinyl and she can install herself. She said no. So, I sent it anyway with an invoice. She refused the package. So, tomorrow. I'm going to her place as I have install very close and install the reverse cut vinyl on the surface of the glass up high so everyone will wonder why it's up there and she'll need to get a ladder to remove it. I feel better already just saying it.
M

greglauter

First, like others have said ALWAYS get a deposit before any work begins (including design) If I had a customer that would not pay the remaining balance, I would be at their door everyday (during busy hours). I would continue being the "squeeky wheel" for a week or two then go over during busy hours and take it all down. If the cops were called, I would explain the situation and I would imagine the officers would understand my situation.