• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Dealing with frayed edges on satin poly fabric

Dukenukem117

Is there a quick way to remove or prevent these strands from sticking out? I've tried using a lighter and it causes the strands to curl back and form a small ball, which isn't slightly either. I cant use any kind of hem tape because these are rolled and unrolled pretty tightly. I'm using an Olfa blade to cut them, so would a cutting wheel be better?

Attachments

• 279465003_378459934215042_6188870533034957175_n.jpg
    279465003_378459934215042_6188870533034957175_n.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 360

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe:

Dukenukem117

Maybe:
Oh cool, does anyone have experience with those? Can you cut along an aluminum ruler? Our material is very thin and I worry about it shifting without some kind of guide.

phototec

I use a Hot Knife to cut a clean edge on fabric like that so it does not unravel. I use a long aluminum ruler with cork applied to the bottom to hold the fabric from moving, however, I have noticed the aluminum ruler tends to draw the heat away from the cutting blade of the hot knife so I have to go really slow.

I know that glass is an insulator, so I plan to get a 36" long piece of 3/16" thick glass and have the edges smoothed, and apply a piece of self-adhesive swede or rubber pad to the bottom (to hold the fabric from slipping as cut), and use that as a straight cutting edge for the hot knife so if will not draw heat from the blade.

BTW: you can change out the blade for a longer one to cut sheets of foam, etc.

I cut fabric with the roller cutters. Big difference from a Xacto knife blade. I prefer the Yello Tool rulers and cutters. For the fabric that can unravel, a hot knife is a must. Get a good one, I use a HSGM hot knife. I have a sheet of aluminum that goes over the cutting table when cutting shapes. For other cuts, use a 2" wide -unpainted aluminum ruler under the cut so you don't destroy your tops

Medina Signs

Old Member
The tips above seem reasonable -

My initial thought was to cut a little wide and use hem glue - or take to a seamstress.

MAXXink

Is there a quick way to remove or prevent these strands from sticking out? I've tried using a lighter and it causes the strands to curl back and form a small ball, which isn't slightly either. I cant use any kind of hem tape because these are rolled and unrolled pretty tightly. I'm using an Olfa blade to cut them, so would a cutting wheel be better?
Use a hot knife to prevent frayed edges. To deal with edges that are fraying use a liquid called Fray Check. It's designed to seal raw edges of fabric. It's available at craft or sewing supply stores.