• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Decal Larger than Transfer Paper

RayGun

Hey All,
I know the simple answer is "Get a wider roll of transfer paper." but I'll ask my question anyway: What do YOU do when you've made a window decal that is larger than your widest roll of transfer paper? Assume your supply store is closed due to a holiday or something and you HAVE to finish this install this weekend. Do you try butt seaming the transfer paper and run the risk of digging into the decal? Do you just overlap two passes and try to deal with all the little bubbles it will create? I've tried both and have had horrible results.
(side note: To be truthful, the previous times I was also trying to do large dry installs with the overlap method and it was bubble city. Since taking the 3M training class, I've learned how to properly do wet install and now think this will help greatly with the tiny bubbles issue.)

Again, I know starting with a larger roll of transfer paper would be ideal, but sometimes you just find yourself in a jam.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, what size is the finished graphic ?? Perf ??

Usually, just take a second person and float it on with only tape at the top to get started.

RayGun

So, what size is the finished graphic ?? Perf ??

Usually, just take a second person and float it on with only tape at the top to get started.
Gino: It's 55" x 41". It is a thick outline owl logo done in Oracal 8510 etched glass material. (see attached) Because of the large void areas, I'm worried about it walking around without transfer paper over the whole thing.
I don't really have anyone to take with me nut if I just do one pass of my 30", I was thinking I could try doing a wet hing method type thing... do you think that would work or is that just asking for trouble?

Attachments

• Queen-City-Grounds-Logo--Just-Owl.png
    Queen-City-Grounds-Logo--Just-Owl.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 183

RayGun

What method are you using to apply the transfer paper?
I lay out my decal on my table, load my transfer paper on a bar, and pull the paper over the decal hovering about 4" over the decal. I then let the paper sag until it barely touches the decal, and start working it down with a squeegee from the middle out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's not what I would consider large by any means. With that set up, just use your widest tape and overlap where needed by maybe 1/4" or so and start from the top down. Let gravity be your friend. Do it wet and get all the bubbles out before you pull the tape off. Two point at top of wingspan and just adhere.

You could hinge it, but I'm not terribly fond of that for something like this, but everyone else in the shop, here would probably do it that way. :thumb: