• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Decal similar to a water slide decal

Does anyone know of a supplier that would make a decal similar to like a waterslide decal. Or if anything even exists like that. It would be going on white metal. I guess would be similar to like a sublimated transfer but without the sublimation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Johnny Best

Look on ebay, lots of suppliers do transfer water slide paper that you run through a photo copier.

To get a good a waterslide decal you lay down a layer of clear varnish or lacquer, then the layers of individual colors, finished off with another layer of clear to keep it all together. That is why screenprinting works so well. I am not knowledgeable on a newer way to do them since I have not had a need for them since the 60s when I screenprinted them.
I think you would have to put a clear base or top over the photocopy print to hold it all together so it slides off the paper in one piece. Anyone who built models as a kid knows how delicate they are when they are soaked with water.