Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Decently priced CNC router

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by Copierguy, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Copierguy

Copierguy New Member

Jan 26, 2017
    PA
    Just curious what anyone is using machine wise in shop?

Tags:
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Went from an iEcho ($85,000) to a Multicam Celero 7 ($300K+) this last year... I don't know what decently priced is to you but functionality is key for us.

3. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    shop bot

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    multicam, best bet is to look for a used Sabre (5-10k) or a used multicam (20-50k) depending on budget/needs.

5. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Our Sabre was 20 yrs old just replaced it with a Colex. The saber was a work horse and the colex is a champ for us

6. PHILJOHNSON

PHILJOHNSON Sales Manager

Jul 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    What sorts of applications did you have in mind? Any kind of budget range that you care to share?

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
    Airmark Corporation
    (800)527-7778, ext 112
    philj@airmark.com

7. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    Shopbot and laser

8. axelmk

axelmk Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Houston, TX
    We've had our Colex for two years. No problems at all and very few issues have been resolved by support remotely.
    I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  9. Martin Denton

Martin Denton Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Manchester, UK
    AXYZ 6010 (10 ft x 6.5 feet bed) , basically go for the biggest bed you can afford and have room for - you won't regret it! and decent vacuum and a auto tool height sensor are a must. the rest such as auto tool change etc are nice to have but not critical

10. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
  11. Ardor Creative

Ardor Creative New Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Worcester, MA
    I bought Laguna smartshop 2. It's been good so far as a wallet conscious CNC. It has a standard vacuum table, multi tool changer and welded frame. I found it simple to use so far. I learned on a Multicam, and it's was more user conscious. Biggest feature I liked about the Multicam was being able to "Z" both the spoil board and the height of the material. Those are features I miss, but can live without. I also was introduced milling on a ShopBot as well. Great for makers and someone who likes to full understand GCode and mechanics of CNCing, but the one I used was more primitive for software running it. I would say budget wise this is a great starter machine. I was shown a Biesse that Grimco supplies, and was very much not a fan of it. Although a beast, there was 3x more steps involved to run a simple program than the multicam or laguna. At the end of the day, I was able to get a new Laguna for the price of a used Multicam and it's been great for what I've been machining for standard materials. I've run V-carve Pro and Aspire on all the machines I've run and it's been seamless tooling between all of them.

12. John Miller

John Miller Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Branford, Connecticut
    I run a Laguna also and am very happy with it. I too wanted a Multicam but the cost was prohibitive.

13. funnyb0nz

funnyb0nz Member

Apr 1, 2019
    OH
    I recently purchased a chineese 5x10ft with vaccum table and dust collector.
    I was leary, but received machine no issues just had to rewire some things and change settings to work in states. With customs and fees cost just under 10k. Laguna is getting them from same supplier, I can get them with special colors and logos.

14. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    With Shopbots you may spend more time tinkering than actually making money.

15. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Alibaba?

16. funnyb0nz

funnyb0nz Member

Apr 1, 2019
    OH
    Direct from Chineese Manufacturer, Alibaba there are so many different chineese ones and read alot of bad feedback. I spent 5 months researching and got with manufacture that are now makeing them for us. I have a 5x10 with vaccum table, and dust collector that I will sell, as we now will have one comeing with our logo and colors on it.

17. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'm assuming you have some sort of other upgrade included, not just getting another one for the sake of color/logos, right?
    In any case do you care to share your supplier's info?

18. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    The only thing I've done with my Bot in the last 15 years is upgrade the hardware package and add a spindle. Other than that it's been pretty bulletproof. New ones come with hardened rails that don't need much attention.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    It looks like the biggest draw back to any chinese machine is the controller. I wouldn't be afraid of the router but I need software with a big green go button. Is this assumption off base?

20. tbullo

tbullo Superunknown

Apr 5, 2012
    VA
    I'd like to know the same as JBurton.