• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Decided between 2 laminators

trakers

After reading ur posts, gathering additional research and chatting with people who already own one I've decided on the USTECH laminator. I believe it will meet my needs perfectly. We cannot justify a $7000 laminator.

I spoke with them today and they answered all my questions.

So my question to you guys, the AK and MVT models have only 2 differences.

The MVT has a removable back shelf and motorized roller lift/lower. Wondering if those features are worth the $500 ( >25% ) difference in price.

Largest print we will ever do is 4x8. No 50 foot runs like some do.

trakers

Thanks. Is it working well for you?

I just worry how they "sync" the electric model. I would assume the roller needs to lower pretty evenly to avoid issues.

I know someone (Fat Cat perhaps) had a procedure to get his manual one to lower evenly.

They also just extended the warranty to 3 year on them. Parts only, but I can live with that. They told me it is a simple machine.

Desert_Signs

I've only run about 20' through it. Literally just unpacked it yesterday.

It's OK. It's no SEAL, but I think it will get the job done. $2k vs $12k? That buys A LOT of mistakes.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Electric lift for $3k? That's awesome and totally worth it as long as the laminator tracks straight.... I know what I'm going to get for my flatbed build.

mameighan

Keep us informed how it works and how you like it. I am in the market for a lower cost laminator and am looking at ustech and the Guardian laminator

trakers

Don't worry fellas I'll post a very detailed review once we get it. Can't believe I'm excited about a friggin laminator.

It's just gonna be so nice to not sweat bullets trying to cover a beautiful big print. I've ruined a *lot* of them trying to laminate them by myself with a huge BS.

I love our 26" BS's, we have 6 of them, (not sure I've ruined a print since moving away from Oracle 220 which wouldn't release) but have a hard time using the long on on 4 foot wide prints.

rubo

Electric lift for $3k? That's awesome and totally worth it as long as the laminator tracks straight.... I know what I'm going to get for my flatbed build.

this ^ grabbed my attention - what you up to? I know a little bit about electric lifts, just curious what you're building.

rubo

I want to build a flatbed laminator for mounting prints... I found if you use a whole assembly it makes the process faster.

Ok, great. You don't need to spend $3K - or anything close to that - on lifts. For about $400 you can get couple of linear actuators, put them on either side of the upper roller, feed them from one power supply for sync and you're golden. I actually built me a flatbed that way. Let me know if you have any questions.

rubo

Do you have plans for your flat bed? It's $445 difference for mechanical vs electric on the us tech.
I meant, I built flatbed printer, not laminator - but the concept is the same. I have some drawings somewhere, will have to look in the morning - going out for late dinner, sorry. From the other hand the difference is not that much - you'll be spending almost as much for parts - and there is a lot of labor involved.

Dennis422

I have the MVT, It works well. You will have to open up the sides to level the rollers (Mine got moved in transport) but when you do that, no worries about did you tighten left side more, do you turns another half turn and stuff like that.
Set it and keep pushing buttons after that :)

Salmoneye

Having them in sync shouldn't be an issue as the US Tech doesn't rely on pressure but just the weight of the main roller itself. I would imagine that there is some play once it is in the down position. Seems like it would be convenient to me but also one more thing to break I guess. I'd probably go for it. I would also very much like to have an outfeed table, I think I would attach a thin cutting mat to it.

TDFcustomSL

Ive got the AK series and it was my first laminator, never used one before this. As for lowering the rollers manually, its not a big deal for me. just turn each knob a half turn or so at a time, alternating sides. Tracking seems to be pretty straight. Ive ran several 20' prints through and it maybe tracked an 1/8 off which is probably from me not feeding it in straight. I did have some issues with my machine but I am one of very very very few people that have had any problems. Their customer support is probably the best in the business. Dave was emailing me back and fourth with trouble shooting help all hours of the night. It was frustrating when it was down but If I needed to purchase another machine I wouldn't hesitate to call Dave and order another one from him. I think youll be happy with either machine for the price. The power roller would be handy BUT for me it wasn't worth the extra money. It was more than $500 more when I purchased my AK I believe. I would recommend adding another bar so you have a roller on the front to hold the rolled prints off the floor before laminating. I made one from electrical conduit that works fine but if your ordering a machine id suggest just adding a bar to the order. I don't think they charge much for them. Your call tho. Let us know how you like it.

trakers

Good, so there is an adjustment if needed. I was worried one side would touch first and cause wrinkling issues, etc.

Did you notice how the roller is lowered? Motor on each side? Chain? Belt?

I have the MVT, It works well. You will have to open up the sides to level the rollers (Mine got moved in transport) but when you do that, no worries about did you tighten left side more, do you turns another half turn and stuff like that.
Set it and keep pushing buttons after that :)