• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Deep reds on Canon Colorado 1650

Tim Miller

I'm trying to "match" a screen-printed fire red with a red printed on the Colorado.
Having a hard time:) It's either too bright or too muddy, and there doesn't seem to be a good way to lay more ink down.

I'm working in Onyx GFX, printing on GF 201 HT (matte vinyl), using a canned profile.

I changed the ink limits to 100,100,100,100 (400) - they were at 94.

It has to be gloss mode, so I can't use a backlit mode.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Are you able to increase the number of "layers" in your profile? (I don't remember how this is set up in Onyx)

We're actually in the process of printing a few rolls of red/black striping that we matched to a dark red vinyl - only way to achieve it was to print double layer of ink. (Different RIP/machine, but same idea)

Tim Miller

Are you able to increase the number of "layers" in your profile? (I don't remember how this is set up in Onyx)

We're actually in the process of printing a few rolls of red/black striping that we matched to a dark red vinyl - only way to achieve it was to print double layer of ink. (Different RIP/machine, but same idea)
I'm not sure - I'll check into whether we can do that. Are you doing it in matte or gloss mode?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm not sure - I'll check into whether we can do that. Are you doing it in matte or gloss mode?
We're actually doing this on a Roland XR-640 through Versaworks so not the same exact workflow.....but I seem to remember you being able to do something similar in Onyx.

I'm trying to "match" a screen-printed fire red with a red printed on the Colorado.
Having a hard time:) It's either too bright or too muddy, and there doesn't seem to be a good way to lay more ink down.

I'm working in Onyx GFX, printing on GF 201 HT (matte vinyl), using a canned profile.

I changed the ink limits to 100,100,100,100 (400) - they were at 94.

It has to be gloss mode, so I can't use a backlit mode.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Do you have a reference for the target color (Pantone spot or physical specimen)?

Can you take a (well lit) pic of the two and post?

Tim Miller

Attachments

• IMG_2023-05-03-16-06-50-524.jpg
    IMG_2023-05-03-16-06-50-524.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2023-05-03-16-06-46-665.jpg
    IMG_2023-05-03-16-06-46-665.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2023-05-03-16-13-03-394.jpg
    IMG_2023-05-03-16-13-03-394.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
Is the number (9/6) the reference color, or what you are getting from the Colorado? If the former, can you post the best red you are getting from the printer?

parrott

You are going to have a very hard time matching a screen printed fire red (different animals). We have shifted a lot of our screen printed vinyl to the Colorado but there are definitely limitations. You obviously need to be matching closer to the process version but still will have a hard time on certain colors (fire red being one of them).

I will say that the color on this machine is fantastic. Very happy with what we have been able to achieve. Leaps and bounds better than our latex.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Matching Fire Red is difficult with any 4 color machine, even solvent and especially UV.
I thought that they had a density mode under print strategy in media manager (Basically Double Strike) on quality and specialty modes but it looks like that only shows up on production.
Specialty is going to be your best bet though and I agree with using the swatch book in Onyx. Then you don't have to make all your own swatches.
Also, make sure you wait for 15-20 minutes since the Colorado 1650 has a huge color shift in that time frame.

Evan Gillette

Be careful with your ink limits on the colorado, with the uv gel it uses a LOT lower limits than most inksets. If you lay down too much it won't cure through (check this with the crosshatch cuts and scratch test). Haven't done any multilayering on ours, but haven't needed to.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Also, make sure you wait for 15-20 minutes since the Colorado 1650 has a huge color shift in that time frame.
I hadn't heard of this on the Colorados but have definitely seen it on our Mimaki UCJV. Makes profiling and color matching real fun....