Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Define... "The Craft"

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Texas_Signmaker, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    What does it mean? Is it good design? Is it good manufacturing? Is it the thing those people that want to invade area 51 intend to find?

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

3. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

I think an easy way to describe it is to ask what makes craft beer "craft"? Why is farm-to-table a movement? Why is one of the runaway most successful food television shows DDD rather than a show about how chain restaurants pack them in and build their stock price?

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  4. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA

Winning

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Cunning Radical Angry Foreign Terrorists
    They have shows on weekends all over the place posed as older retirees, women with ponytails and men wearing Birkenstocks'.

6. Stacey K

Stacey K I like making signs

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    The craft is the process between you and the customer that leads to the finished product. I don't believe it's the finished product but the process that gets you there. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

7. I believe "The Craft" is in the knowledge gained over years in the industry of what works and what doesn't. It's being able to figure out what a customer needs rather than what a customer thinks they want, and being able to guide them there. It's all the little tricks you learn in design, production and installation that work, look good and save time and money.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1