• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Deflected nozzles?

phototec

I have deflected nozzles on my SP-540V and chanced captops and wipers 9 days ago, usually that helps get rid of the deflection, but I have seen NO change (see attached test print).

Tried several cleanings and a head soak, and more cleanings, didn't help.

So, what are some fixes that you have used successfully to clean up deflected nozzles?

Also, how would I check or clean the black tubs that go to the pump and drain bottle, do you think they could be clogged and not allowing the caps to do there job?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• TEST PRINT 1-13-2016.jpg
    TEST PRINT 1-13-2016.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 1,439

Ragnabrok

Deflection isn't terrible, is it affecting your prints?

The kind of be all and end all cleaning for heads is hooking a syringe of cleaning solution to the manifold and (gently) forcing it through. I'd imagine there's a video of it out there.

Changing the drain lines, i'd use the tubes from the caps you replaced, they are the same diameter, but might not be long enough to go from the pump to the drain bottle. They can/do get clogged, and limit the effectiveness of cleaning.

player

Have you done a new head soak and cleaning lately? Probably your low use is not unclogging the nozzles.

Tizz

Deflected nozzles are unrecoverable, I experienced this 6 months ago and also performed the usual cleans and captop replacement and head soaks. But no change.
My Roland tech explained to me why these aren't recoverable and this was also backed up by another experienced roland tech from the U.S.
These tiny nozzles are positioned vertically down the head and any kind of head strike can knock these out of their true vertical position.
My deflected nozzles was caused by head strikes due to the material and this has happened on a number of times. Only the magenta channel was problematic. I even used a small mirror to take a look as close as I could at the head and found a small scratch on the surface.
However on a positive note I have still been printing by using the highest quality setting.

So far my prints have been great but the tech said the head will eventually fail. I do get the occasional over spray on the magenta head but luckily it's not it the actual print. I'll keep using it till it eventually fails.

phototec

Deflected nozzles are unrecoverable, I experienced this 6 months ago and also performed the usual cleans and captop replacement and head soaks. But no change.
My Roland tech explained to me why these aren't recoverable and this was also backed up by another experienced roland tech from the U.S.
These tiny nozzles are positioned vertically down the head and any kind of head strike can knock these out of their true vertical position.
My deflected nozzles was caused by head strikes due to the material and this has happened on a number of times. Only the magenta channel was problematic. I even used a small mirror to take a look as close as I could at the head and found a small scratch on the surface.
However on a positive note I have still been printing by using the highest quality setting.

So far my prints have been great but the tech said the head will eventually fail. I do get the occasional over spray on the magenta head but luckily it's not it the actual print. I'll keep using it till it eventually fails.

Well the funny thing in my case, I have NOT had any head strikes, and I have had deflected nozzles in the past, which are sometimes caused by dirty partially blocked nozzles, which have been completely recovered by changing captops and head soakings.

There are different type of deflected nozzles, as you described a head strike will DAMAGE (bend) nozzles permanently, however many times they are partially clogged and can be cleaned fixed.

I just need to know the tricks to clean the clogged nozzles.

Tizz

Please excuse my ignorance, I assumed your deflected nozzles were caused by head strikes similar to what Ive experienced. You are right nozzle blockage can cause this also. Just thought of the worst case scenario.

Ive experienced this also and I did exactly what you have already done. I head soaked twice performed a few high head cleans and wasted a lot of ink. I also pulled ink from the head through the captops a few times (dont know if you've done this already), but my blocked nozzles eventually cleared up.

player

Just do head soaks and after a head soak print some large cmyk rectangles (54" x 16" per colour). Then press the cleaning button. Every day press the cleaning button once or twice. Keep everything manually clean. They will clear up on their own. That was my experience.

player

When you do a manual clean do you fill the caps with cleaner? I always do that once or twice to run cleaner through the hoses.

If you put cleaner in the caps does it go down or sit in the cap forever?

phototec

When you do a manual clean do you fill the caps with cleaner? I always do that once or twice to run cleaner through the hoses.

If you put cleaner in the caps does it go down or sit in the cap forever?

Hope, when I put cleaning solution in the captops, you can see it go down in a few seconds. I do always add some when doing a manual cleaning (weekly).

I have to clamp off the black tubs when doing a head soak to keep cleaning solution in the captops.

I have done 3 head soaks since reporting this on her, and there has been NO difference in the test prints.

Printed some smaller jobs and getting a weird banding in the solid blacks that I have never seen before, almost looks like ridges, looking at an angle almost looks like over laps, no white lines?

I have tried many different profiles, ones that worked great a few weeks ago are producing banding now.

I replaced the captops and wipers on 1-6-16, also the wiper scraper (which I had never done), it had a lot of build up on it, I would suggest that you at least remove and clean it periodically when replacing captops.

player

When you do head soaks the cleaner can go into the head and thin out the ink... Maybe this is what happened to the black?

Have you tried your trick with the swab?

Have you tried printing those big rectangles I suggested?

If you print the big rectangles and the colour is coming out lighter as you go, it may be time for dampers but I don't think the dampers
will cause the deflections you are seeing. I still think you need to print some substantial quantity.

phototec

Ok, I still have deflected nozzles in the black and magenta, you can see banding in the black and magenta in prints, the magenta is the worst, see attached photos.

One thing that I have been told is to check the print heads to see where the captops are aligned on the heads , so I took a photo and it appears the captops are off center to the left side of the heads a little could that effect anything?

If so what effect does this cause and how do you rectify this and center the captops to the heads?

You can see banding in the magenta, none in the yellow, both colors com from the same head right?

Thanks for any and all help (guidance) trying to get this fixed....

Attachments

• PRINT HEADS 1-29-16.jpg
    PRINT HEADS 1-29-16.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 966
  • CAPTOPS 1-29-16.jpg
    CAPTOPS 1-29-16.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 870
  • BANDING IN MAGENTA 1-29-16.jpg
    BANDING IN MAGENTA 1-29-16.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 941

phototec

Ok, I still have deflected nozzles in the black and magenta, you can see banding in the black and magenta in prints, the magenta is the worst, see attached photos.

One thing that I have been told is to check the print heads to see where the captops are aligned on the heads , so I took a photo and it appears the captops are off center to the left side of the heads a little could that effect anything?

If so what effect does this cause and how do you rectify this and center the captops to the heads?

You can see banding in the magenta, none in the yellow, both colors com from the same head right?

Thanks for any and all help (guidance) trying to get this fixed....

Here is my latest TEST PRINT (disregard the speckles underneath are from a previous print):

Attachments

• TEST PRINT 1-29-16.jpg
    TEST PRINT 1-29-16.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 1,199

SherBear

Those on this forum, would you call this deflection? Since we don't have dampers on hand I tried just switching one black damper to the other black damper to see if one of those was bad, with no success. We used a syringe to pull ink through the head and that really didn't help. Any other suggestions? Ours looks really bad compared to phototech's example!!! Are we doomed here? Test print is attached.

Attachments

• 0122191003a_HDR.jpg
    0122191003a_HDR.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 1,158

Andy D

I don't know the 1st thing about your printer or print heads, but your nozzle test doesn't
look like the problem is caused by deflected nozzles to me...
It looks like a hardware glitch or even a voltage problem.

would you call this deflection?
Yes, those look deflected nozzles to me...