• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Delivering a cabinet to another state... Do I need DOT numbers?

rjssigns

I owned my bucket in my own name and it was single axle under 26,000 gvw so I did not have to have a cdl or dot. I put dot on it just to avoid proving it on the side of the road. I did it over the phone in about an hour. As I was not going out of state it did not require inspection. It cost nothing to get a dot (at least in my situation) and I had numbers on truck same day. Going out of state they will send by a trooper to inspect it (in Florida). On another note it always amused me that boat numbers have to be 3.5 inches tall, contrasting single color on hull with no serifs and 1/2" stroke or better but dot regs state visible from 50 feet. Who determines what that is? I have seen dots that could not be read from 10 feet, lol.
I lettered five new f350 pickups and two f350 service body trucks yesterday for land clearing company, all had dots.

A lot of it is a gray area when it comes to compliance. For me it was easier to be in compliance than the alternative.

Forgot to add there will be variance from state to state regarding enforcement. Best to talk to the top cop for Motor Carrier in your jurisdiction.

Weight is weight though and 26001 is where the real fun begins.

To be quite honest there are tons of people that should be allowed to tow anything. Don't get me started on Ford's backup "assist".:mad:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I had a Chevy 3500 flat bed - got stopped - inspector found the tag from the company that installed the flatbed (I didn't even know it was behind the seat) - 11,000 lbs, had to get a DOT.

We don't have any state lines here and crossing over the closest one (Hawaii) would be a little hard on the 3500.
Got rid of the flatbed and canceled my DOT.