• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Deluxe Silver - Scotchcal 210 series vinyl

phatmanu812

Just got off the phone with my local distributor. After chasing down contacts at Gerber and 3M, my distributor informed of the following: The Japanese tsunami disrupted the production of the above referenced material which is why it has been impossible to get lately; now for the bad news - there are no plans to get production going again so the product is being officially discontinued. :omg2:

My distributor informed me that there is no equivalent material out there (which explains the ridiculous price). He said there is an alternative material but it's not rated for outdoor applications.

Has anyone had experience with any other chrome-like material that is suitable for use in the Edge?

Can anyone make material recommendations?

What happens to the not-outdoor rated material when used outdoors?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tony

stickerman12

The closest thing I have found is the one from r tape. It is somewhat durable outdoors. you can check but 2 - 3 yrs? outdoors

Jase

Doesn't the internal stuff peel or crack after a couple of months. Not sure if you can buy this but we use Metamarks silver/chrome on our Edge, brilliant stuff.

Jason

natedawg9640

ha! i went over this a month ago. you can find my threads scouring the place. i found and bought what is likely the last roll in existence thank god. had to jump through hoops to get it too as it was in a supplier that didn't deal with the US... It's integral to what i do. I have found a suitable replacement as well (not gerber's replacement shiny silver stuff... that stuff is garbage)

this is the best substitute available. more expensive even than the 210... but the closest to it i was able to find, and what i'll be going to after i brun up my current roll.

http://www.shopgms.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CCHB1510S

"convex chrome high bond"

I'd contact them for recommended print profiles for the Edge printers. It doesn't work well on the 210 profile. I have had good luck with running it on edge 1 mode with scotchlite selected as the media.

deadman

we are using Universal 683 Premium Chrome Mirror. Midwest suggested it as a suitable replacement. It prints well and goes on nice. We shall see how long it lasts.

natedawg9640

we use that for other things. it's fine for what it is and has it's uses but it's NOT a suitable REPLACEMENT for 210 deluxe. Not when 210 was selected for it's above and beyond qualities. plus, 210 was a vinyl, not a metalized PVC or polyester. the GMS stuff is also a vinyl.

Jase

You guys are paying far too much. The Metamark vinyl is £6 ($4) a metre, outdoor 5 year durability and Edge Ready. We run metres and metres of this stuff off just for one customer. Not sure if they export to the US but definitely worth dropping them an email.
www.metamark.co.uk

natedawg9640

You guys are paying far too much. The Metamark vinyl is £6 ($4) a metre, outdoor 5 year durability and Edge Ready. We run metres and metres of this stuff off just for one customer. Not sure if they export to the US but definitely worth dropping them an email.
www.metamark.co.uk

i'd be interested in a sample but there again... metalized PVC. In my experience, this will not touch the quality of the 210 deluxe.

phatmanu812

GMS - "convex chrome high bond"

Just to close the loop - I received a sample and purchased a 50-yard roll of the convex chrome high bond from GMS as a replacement for the discontinued Scotchcal 210 Deluxe Silver.

It printed very nicely on the Scotchcal 210 Deluxe Silver setting on my Edge LE.

I'm very pleased with the material. One word of caution - it does come with a protective film that has to be peeled back before sending it through the Edge.

Thanks to everyone on the board for their suggestions.

Tony

natedawg9640

yup! though for those edge II users, refer to my profile instruction if you have problems cause it printed terribly bad on the 210 profile for me.