• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

***dependable and economic sign making bundle**

banos_andres

Hi, Guys...I'm looking to purchase a business starter kit bundle, but there are tons of bundle options on ebay. Is there a brand or perhaps a whole bundle that anyone out there can reference me to? I need something that is on not going t break on me within the first months of use. Any recommendations are truly appreciated!

Billct2

How about some details? What kind of work will you be doing?
What are these "bundles" you are looking at?
And oh yea, I wouldn't buy anything off Ebay unless it was from a reputable dealer with a warranty or I was so familar with the product
that I could be sure of what I was getting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, based on your profile, you have no business, not interested in anything..... so tell me, what do you want to do in the sign business ??

Having a starting point and a view of what you'd like to do will work wonders for you as to what to buy.
It's easier to help someone who has some focus, rather than just questions from outta nowhere. :rock-n-roll:

Ya could really start with..... what's your budget ??

TammieH

Some people should really read what they type and ask themselves this question..."Does that make sense, will people understand what I am asking?"

How can you converse with customers, if you can't pose a simple question in here?

I will tell you this if you are buying something inexpensive from EBAY, its probably garbage...you are better off buying used name brand equipment.

banos_andres

How about some details? What kind of work will you be doing?
What are these "bundles" you are looking at?
And oh yea, I wouldn't buy anything off Ebay unless it was from a reputable dealer with a warranty or I was so familar with the product
that I could be sure of what I was getting.

I have 6+ years of experience designing, I work with OMEGA COMPOSER. (this of course is at work) I work of a large company and I personally reached the point of starting my home based business. I want to focus on storefronts, vehicle decals, an tshirts.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd suggest subbing the work out initially. Just starting out you need to focus on sales and the creative portion of it, not the production end of it. It's hard to do it all and doesn't leave a whole lot of time for family etc...

There's plenty of great companies to work with out there that can handle the printing end of it for you and still leave plenty of room to make some money.

Build your client base, get a good reputation in your area and after a year of two then think about buying your equipment.

~Chris

Billct2

After 6 years in the trade (even just as a designer) I would think you would have enough knowledge to be a little more specifc.

Whatever you do, at least buy a decent Roland or Graphtec cutter. Don't buy a cheap imported cutter as you will most likely regret it shortly after. I speak from experience, having shelled out $900 for a subpar cutter, only to purchase a Roland a little over a year later. You can pick up decent cutting software for cheap. I would suggest either a starter version of Flexi or Sign Cut Pro. A one year license for Sign Cut is like $89...I think? I would also recommend Corel Draw for around $500 ish. This should get you well on your way. Then outsource digital prints until you are printing daily and need your own printer.

TheSnowman

I'd recommend going to a sign expo (I always try to go to the one in Orlando so it's at least a vacation at the same time) and look at the newest equipment and talk to a vendor there. When you start out in this stuff, you don't know how stuff works yet, and you are just guessing sometimes as to if it's you, or the equipment that's giving you headaches. I worked with Advantage Sign Supply right out of the gate 10 years ago, and the previous owners worked with them 10 years before that. They've always been there every step of the way when we had questions or issues. Sometimes it was me, sometimes it was equipment...but you sure don't need to spend hours a day guessing at stuff just to get a good deal.

A couple years in, I couldn't believe how efficient I was becoming, and how much more I accomplished with less supplies. Those first couple years I was just throwing rolls of vinyl away learning how to master the machines. I can't imagine doing that with sub-par equipment, or without someone there to call and ask questions.

If you have another job and don't have to have reliable stuff, that may not apply...but I sure don't regret doing it right the first time since this is a full time setup for me.