• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design before Contract

Joe Diaz

We seem, perhaps, to have lost the skill to produce a quick pencil sketch to seal the deal? Before computers became so common place, "roughs" or "visuals" were the order of the day.

I like to look at it this way. It's not so much a lack of skill to quickly sketch something up. It's a matter of not giving that skill away for just the chance to produce something. I happen to believe that skill... our ideas, concepts, expertise, experience, and yes even the short time it takes to jot that idea down on paper has real value. In order for that potential customer to understand the real value of your skill, you can't simply offer it up just for the chance for more work. They won't value it if it's so easily obtained. In my opinion it's more valuable than the time and materials used to build a sign. Our policy is: if you want a sketch, we need to at least see a down payment.

rjssigns

There are times if the project is interesting and I have time I will do a layout before payment. Client will be shown the work and that is it unless they give me a deposit or pay for art. Art does not leave without being paid.

I do it to keep my "chops" up(not that I have many) and I think of where else the elements or the complete design can be used. Yes I'm into the "re-purposing" deal. It is the way I was taught.