• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design by another Shop

JMPrinting

How do you handle these situations, honestly. I respect the designer of the artwork and that is their piece unless they have turned over rights and has been paid for.

I had a customer call last week wanting stickers made, she forwarded me a design and it was a PDF from another graphic shop. He had a disclosure (like mine) about him owning the rights to artwork...ect. I told her I would need his written approval before doing so. She said that I could design something similar because the other guy said it would take a couple months to make. She then asked if I could just print the one because that is what they have. I told her again, sure with their permission. She said to go ahead and make the design. She calls me today, 2 days later and said "Hi I don't need that sticker, I found someone else who can print it for me. You just lost a customer" Sorry lady, not printing stuff owned by other people and getting sued for it. Your $50 order isn't worth the headache of being sued if someone wants to pursue it.

That being said, I am still using my morals and not doing it. If she brought it on a flash drive and said she needed stickers, fine. I don't go digging around unless there was a water mark.

1) You find out a customer gets something printed they didn't pay for, what do you do? Is it worth the hassle?

2) If you are so far behind on large projects, would you give the ok to have it printed somewhere else?

Just curious...

Marlene

you did right and some where out there is a crook who could care less and did the job. people like that don't stay in business long. as for her, no big loss

Christian @ 2CT Media

Do you have a working relationship with the other shop?

I work closely with 4 or 5 different shops in my area, I constantly have to tell clients I can't help them. I also let those shops know if their client is shopping their design around.

JMPrinting

I just prefer to not do the work, would they ever find out? Probably not. I would rather just not have the business...maybe it's their fault if they tell a customer a couple months to get an order but they still created that art.

JgS

You did the right thing. I might have called the other shop if I really wanted the job and explained the situation. Chances are if they are backed up for months then this job my not be worth their time and you can negotiate a fee for their time and work that into your price. Or they may want to bill her directly and you can do the printing.

visual800

Any shop that sends out a pdf should get it passed it around by a client, that was a stupid move. Low res jpgs folks. Kudos to you for not taking it though. I personally dont reproduce others art and we get quite a bit of it

when we do get it I just refuse to use it and tell them I can submit our own ideas, if they dont like it they can walk.as far as you contacting the other shop I dont see the point in anyone being the logo police.