• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design Computer

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I do also think that ECC memory is a good thing. There is a slight (but at todays speeds not anything you would notice in real use, if you just like benchmarks then skip ECC) performance penalty but the peace of mind is worth it. Especially when you get into higher and higher amounts of RAM. The more you have the higher the chances of a bit error or some other error (that most will not realize and blame the program crash or blue screen on Windows or some program). With ECC memory, the memory ECC (error checking and correction) chip sees the error and remaps the memory address and you never know anything..... Many higher end professional workstations (primarily Xeon processor based systems that are really designed with server class components) require ECC memory. We run Dell Precision workstations here. The most current is still 2 years old but recently upgraded it to dual hex core Xeons (X5650), 96GB or ram, zero issues and is a flat out rocket. The oldest is a 690 (5 years old) with dual quad core Xeon 3ghz, 64gb ram, dual 256gb SSD's, it still spanks most all but the top of the line current computers out. Rebooting quick is not something I'm worried about. A couple of these have not been rebooted in months. The thing is, most are not willing to spend what it costs for systems on this level and settle for consumer class machines.

And I'm not saying anything is wrong with that either. You have to go with what fits your needs and budget.