• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design Flaw?

Emily Bailey

In need of some advice. I designed our logo in ai and then moved it to photoshop for the effects. However now the contour cut in only one spot goes through the stroke into the original design. It’s prints with part of the stroke cut off as well as cuts. Is there something I am doing wrong with my designing? Or is it the effects once I’ve moved my design into photoshop causing this issue?

Attachments

• 99D32C9C-C0F9-4E54-8329-544BAAF62BED.jpeg
    99D32C9C-C0F9-4E54-8329-544BAAF62BED.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 291
  • B428BF6B-2BCD-4930-A321-D7B68C0EE343.png
    B428BF6B-2BCD-4930-A321-D7B68C0EE343.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 281

myront

CorelDRAW is best
What I'd do is copy the design and paste to photoshop to make the effects. Once you have all that set, copy and paste back to illy, then setup all the cuts. Or maybe you have to save the psd as a flattened transparent tiff and place to illy over the vector shape. Never lose the vector ai.

Emily Bailey

What I'd do is copy the design and paste to photoshop to make the effects. Once you have all that set, copy and paste back to illy, then setup all the cuts. Or maybe you have to save the psd as a flattened transparent tiff and place to illy over the vector shape. Never lose the vector ai.
Ok... I did all of that and it is still trying to contour cut in the same spot, the wrong spot. :(

mattc5900

Might try to expand your stroke in AI.. Object then expand fill and stroke..See if that doesn't help with your contour cut.

KY_Graphics_Gal

What are the effects you need in Photoshop? Is it something you can't create in Ai? I'm guessing it's something raster in Ps that is causing your problem, but like myront said, it's hard to say without seeing the file.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Which RIP is being used for the printing & contour cutting? We previously used VersaWorks (with our now-retired Roland printer). If I fed VersaWorks an EPS file that had Photoshop-oriented raster objects in it (stuff with layers, alpha channels, etc) it would refuse to see the contour cutting lines. But it would work if I saved in PDF instead. Contour cutting in EPS would work fine if the raster-based object was flattened and had no extra alpha channels.

jimbug72

Follow myront's steps but flatten transparencies on the Photoshop raster image (don't flatten transparencies on your cut line) and see if that helps. Our Versaworks has trouble reading cut lines with raster images in both EPS and PDF formats unless ALL raster items have had the transparencies flattened.

shoresigns

Which RIP is being used for the printing & contour cutting? We previously used VersaWorks (with our now-retired Roland printer). If I fed VersaWorks an EPS file that had Photoshop-oriented raster objects in it (stuff with layers, alpha channels, etc) it would refuse to see the contour cutting lines. But it would work if I saved in PDF instead. Contour cutting in EPS would work fine if the raster-based object was flattened and had no extra alpha channels.

Follow myront's steps but flatten transparencies on the Photoshop raster image (don't flatten transparencies on your cut line) and see if that helps. Our Versaworks has trouble reading cut lines with raster images in both EPS and PDF formats unless ALL raster items have had the transparencies flattened.

Transparencies cause Versaworks to ignore cutting lines, as you both stated. OP stated that it's cutting, but in the wrong place. Read the thread before you post.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Transparencies cause Versaworks to ignore cutting lines, as you both stated. OP stated that it's cutting, but in the wrong place. Read the thread before you post.

Hey, Smarta$$, how about YOU go back and re-read my post? The first sentence to be exact. I ASKED which RIP was being used. I only offered up what was happening with VersaWorks as an example of what can throw contour cutting operations off kilter. I did not suggest that the flaw worked the same way for all RIPs.

Maybe you need to practice what you preach: read the posts of others carefully before throwing out some rude flames and make yourself look like a jerk feeding off his own anger. We're only here trying to HELP someone. I'm not going to post much of anything in this forum at all going further if I have to worry about "triggering" someone.

Emily Bailey

Thank you... I’m slowly trying to go through all the suggestions and see what works. It work with the work path on top of the image in illustrator. And now when after trying the same steps with another image it has decided it doesn’t want to work. We are using flexi.

I’m doing the emboss/ bevel in photoshop and it cannot for the life of me get the exact effect I need, no matter what light and angles I use in illustrator.