• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design help

banditsigns

Doing a design for a customer. Any help would be appreciated. I think I am on the right track, but came here for professional help. Let me know what you think. The customer wanted orange and black so this is what I came up with...thanks

Attachments

• sign front revised.pdf
    216.2 KB · Views: 89

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You might get more help after you introduce yourself...

A few questions:

Is that the existing logo?
Double or Single Sided?
Is that oval dimensional?
Is that an existing sign that is being refurbished? or a new monument?
How big?
Illuminated or non-illuminated?

-----

---Too many typefaces, I count 4

---The typefaces being used are too "signshop" These typefaces are overused, and typical of the sign shop look, I believe there are better typefaces that just running to the typical typefaces that were stuck in an old Gerber 4b

---Typefaces with a slight slant are distracting to the eye, it's neither here nor there, better to use a non-oblique typeface in this situation.

---CORPORATION kerning needs work

---Color, maybe we are too close to Halloween, but throw a pumpkin on that thing and they are ready for trick or treaters. I would look at a dark blue instead of black or add some metallic silver paint color.

---Lose the outlines.

Last edited:

SignManiac

Everything Rick said, and the colors don't work the way you are using them even though the client who is not qualified, specified them.

Jillbeans

You'll get better replies if you post a jpg rather than a pdf.
I would use different fonts, Eras is getting dated looking. Even if you used a clean gothic style for corporation. Everything is run too close to the edges as well.
Love....Jill

banditsigns

revised

Ok....here it is revised. The sign is a old client with new colors. We did his existing sign 12 yrs ago and was wanting to replace it (old/faded) with his "new" colors. The top oval would be a 1/2" separate piece on top of the main sign. Thanks for the suggestions. I was worried about the orange fading faster than a lighter color....I welcome ANY suggestions.......Todd
1 on the left is original...right, new design

View attachment 69472
sign front revised1.jpg

Marlene

I like the new colors but really hate the dots between each letter as that is dated and looks old plus there are so many letters in the word that it just clutters it up.

SignManiac

None or your designs say machine or tools to me in any way. I'd go with a more mechanical feel with color and font choices. Here's my take on tweaking your format. If it were me, I would even scratch your existing layout and go for something entirely different.

Attachments

• DieRite.jpg
    DieRite.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 94

Marlene

None or your designs say machine or tools to me in any way. I'd go with a more mechanical feel with color and font choices. Here's my take on tweaking your format. If it were me, I would even scratch your existing layout and go for something entirely different.
Attached Thumbnails

now that says machine and tool! very nice!

Gino

Premium Subscriber

All the way........... :thumb:

I also presume, your indicating of shadows, is not for a digital print, but a relief sign as well. Really makes the sign become sturdy and strong looking.

SignManiac

Gino you are correct. Besides, everyone here knows I don't know how to make flat signs :)

Also I should point out, I broke the rules and used four different fonts...

SignManiac

Never said I could count Rick :)

Okay you got me. I did use only four. Die Rite and the address number are the same font!

Marlene

SignManiac could take a dog turd and turn it into something we all would oooo and awe over! the guy is that good

SignManiac

Hold on Marlene, my head is big enough :) If that's the case, why do I drool all over Joe Diaz and Ricks work? These guys are far better turd polishers than I am! But thank you anyway :Big Laugh

banditsigns

VERY COOL!!! I will try to sway him from the colors I had, but that is what he seems to like...orange/black. Not my first choice by any means, but gotta start with what the customer wants first. Thanks for the tips....I am so glad I found this site. Makes me feel like I now have some help...other than my dog Otis!!!!!!

SignManiac

You will never be free to design if the customer gets to decide what you can do. It is your responsibility to direct the design process, by example if necessary, to the client. In so doing, you MUST learn the basic design fundamentals in order to do so.