• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design & Layout work Stolen

Joe Diaz

In addition to getting a deposit, I also think it's important to inform the client of what they are purchasing with that deposit. For us paying a deposit or part of the agreed upon cost doesn't mean they are purchasing the ownership of that artwork. The client only owns the artwork when the project has been paid for in full.

Also we avoid emailing sketches like the plague. For non-local clients you have no choice, but for local clients the goal is to get them in your shop is much as possible for several reasons:

Reason 1: it makes it harder for them to walk off with the artwork and never come back.

Reason 2: Communicating with your clients in person as much as possible helps develop long term business relationships. It's much easier to sell additional services to your client when they are in your shop and can see the samples on the wall.

Reason 3: it reduces the amount of back and forth time when dealing with revisions. I personally don't like it when customers stand over my shoulder when I design, that is why the initial design work is done when they aren't here, BUT. when it comes time to get the artwork approved, finalized, or revised, I will make those changes on the computer screen in front of them and in one sitting, because it's far better than the alternative of multiple emails back and forth, which ties in with the next 2 reasons:

Reason 4: it avoids a design by committee (or "let me see what my aunt thinks") situation.

Reason 5: I have better luck defending my design choices and talking them out of bad ideas in person (with out their aunt's "opinion").

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
In addition to getting a deposit, I also think it's important to inform the client of what they are purchasing with that deposit. For us paying a deposit or part of the agreed upon cost doesn't mean they are purchasing the ownership of that artwork. The client only owns the artwork when the project has been paid for in full.

Also we avoid emailing sketches like the plague. For non-local clients you have no choice, but for local clients the goal is to get them in your shop is much as possible for several reasons:

Reason 1: it makes it harder for them to walk off with the artwork and never come back.

Reason 2: Communicating with your clients in person as much as possible helps develop long term business relationships. It's much easier to sell additional services to your client when they are in your shop and can see the samples on the wall.

Reason 3: it reduces the amount of back and forth time when dealing with revisions. I personally don't like it when customers stand over my shoulder when I design, that is why the initial design work is done when they aren't here, BUT. when it comes time to get the artwork approved, finalized, or revised, I will make those changes on the computer screen in front of them, because it's far better than the alternative of multiple emails back and forth, which ties in with the next 2 reasons:

Reason 4: it avoids a design by committee (or "let me see what my aunt thinks") situation.

Reason 5: I have better luck defending my design choices and talking them out of bad ideas in person.

This is why I love you Joe. Well put and I didn't have to type it. OP, this is excellent advice.

SD&F

When we send artwok out we always put our label on it. "Property of", which is what you should always do moving forward. I woud go ahead an contact her and let her know that you did work to create this and should be paid. You can credit her the design fee if you get the job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
About two weeks ago, a customer of ours requested 16 signs 41" x 55" double sided .063 aluminum panels to be printed. I asked about the verbiage and they sent me this.............. now hiring.jpg

I crossed out the sign shop's name, but they want to hold me to the tag line at the bottom that it's their artwork. My customer has told to disregard it and make it. We just finished the last one on Friday and they picked up the panels and stands yesterday. It was almost a $3,500 order and to see this being their artwork of about 27 seconds of thinking and designing time.... I have to agree with my customer. This can barely be called a layout.... let alone artwork.

farmfreshads

Just wanted to let you guys know that i sent her an email.....lol...not the nicest email but I reminded her of the time & effort I had invested in her & her company & oh yeah, in order for me to "release" her logo she would have to pay a large art fee. I also mentioned that small businesses succeed with honestly & loyalty, two things that she was lacking by sending me that email saying she was going somewhere else...10 minutes later she called me, apologized & asked me to do the job :)

Thanks for all of your help. It could have turned out alot worst. I'll be handling my future projects with all of your advice in mind. I appreciate your help!

Jane Diaz

I know some take a 100% down but we don't. We usually do 50%. When we DO have to send a "sketch" because the customer is out of town, it is only after a significant deposit, it on a form that has all the "legalize" at the bottom and it is watermarked over the top of the logo so they can't use it as is. We don't make it easy for them to steal our work (which is essentially what they are doing if they don't pay you for what you did). We do not release any usable artwork till it is paid in full.

Drip Dry

About two weeks ago, a customer of ours requested 16 signs 41" x 55" double sided .063 aluminum panels to be printed. I asked about the verbiage and they sent me this.............. View attachment 80218

I crossed out the sign shop's name, but they want to hold me to the tag line at the bottom that it's their artwork. My customer has told to disregard it and make it. We just finished the last one on Friday and they picked up the panels and stands yesterday. It was almost a $3,500 order and to see this being their artwork of about 27 seconds of thinking and designing time.... I have to agree with my customer. This can barely be called a layout.... let alone artwork.

So, is it OK to use someone else's artwork when it's marked with their name ?

Pat Whatley

Hey Gino....according to the usage clause at the bottom of that layout you violated it by showing it to us. You're gonna get sued.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, is it OK to use someone else's artwork when it's marked with their name ?

Are you being serious or silly ?? I'll answer with you're being serious in mind.

The company we're doing the work gives us the logo, as you can see, it was set in there. The other sign shop is complaining we used the position of the words and that is in violation of their clause. Henceforth, we are copying.

Now, how many ways can you layout the words...... 'NOW HIRING' ??

:design: