• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design not saving right; please help!

what the

Owner/op
I must be doing something wrong!!
My background is flexi-sign - Now moving into adobe ill. This is just business card size file- (saving pdf and outcome is a huge file!)

HERE'S WHAT I DID AND OUTCOME---
The images are very high res. to start with... When exporting as a pdf, the file is huge (need pdf for print)

1)I selected the bitmap images and used the drop down tool-(raserize 300dpi and transparent checked)
2)saved as 300dpi...It looks aweful! And still keeps this at a huge file.
3)What is the best step for this? How do I reduce the bitmap image but still look great?

Attachments

• Business Card Layout FRONT- Version 1 Raster.jpg
    Business Card Layout FRONT- Version 1 Raster.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 97

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If you have Photoshop, set it up at business card dimensions and at 400 ppi. Size each photo separately at size needed and at 400 ppi and place them on the card. Results should be good and file size acceptable.

what the

Owner/op
Response

If you have Photoshop, set it up at business card dimensions and at 400 ppi. Size each photo separately at size needed and at 400 ppi and place them on the card. Results should be good and file size acceptable.

Thank you!- Just out of curiosity- is there not a short hand way of saving bitmap in Adobe illustrator?

TammieH

For most small layouts like proofs, and this will definitely work for a business card...
With Photoshop; I re-size all of my photos (using the largest dimension) to 11" to 14" make sure your dpi is what you want also, usually 300dpi save your jpeg

In Illustrator open your file and "Place" your jpegs, make sure "Link" is checked

When you save your pdf you might need to play with the compression, for proofs I use 100 dpi, I can't imagine you need a very high resolution for a business card.

I am sure there are other ways to do this and probably better ways, but this method works for me quite well and I have never had a problem with printing. If you are sending the art out to a third party for printing you may need to include the linked files, depending how they open the files (program)

visual800

I feel your pain! I would open just the pics on new screen in illy and export as jpg saving them at 6 or 7 in size and then place them or copy and paste on lettering art. Pics like this can really make a small item huge in size