• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design Software To Sign Software

peavey123

Hey everyone, I am looking for some feedback on workflows from Adobe to Flexi or signlab etc? If you use this software what file format do you require?

I have been designing for over ten years, signs, wraps, print products, tradeshow etc. It's very rare I ever have issues with my files BUT it's becoming an issue since recently I've been designing for multiple sign shops. They use Flexi or signlab and insist on me sending flattened raster images as final output files. Which equals huge file sizes and other downfalls. Is this right?

Normally I design in illustrator. I edit raster images in Photoshop and link them in illustrator for easy updating. Then for final output I embed all images, outline fonts and strokes and save out as an EPS or PDF. When opened in signlab or Flexi things get crazy. Missing images, colour issues etc. What's up with these programs? Why don't they play nice with standard design applications? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Peav

Oroscoe

I don't see where you are doing anything wrong. My shop uses FlexiSign and also design in Illustrator and photoshop. WE don't seem to have any issues importing EPS or PDF files. We also use raster graphics for offset printing and vector for signs and shirts and haven't had any issues. Sounds like some of these shops may not be very well versed in their software.

oksigns

Hey everyone, I am looking for some feedback on workflows from Adobe to Flexi or signlab etc? If you use this software what file format do you require?

I have been designing for over ten years, signs, wraps, print products, tradeshow etc. It's very rare I ever have issues with my files BUT it's becoming an issue since recently I've been designing for multiple sign shops. They use Flexi or signlab and insist on me sending flattened raster images as final output files. Which equals huge file sizes and other downfalls. Is this right?

Normally I design in illustrator. I edit raster images in Photoshop and link them in illustrator for easy updating. Then for final output I embed all images, outline fonts and strokes and save out as an EPS or PDF. When opened in signlab or Flexi things get crazy. Missing images, colour issues etc. What's up with these programs? Why don't they play nice with standard design applications? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Peav

If you're not the one running the rip, flatten it. you aren't doing anything wrong necessarily. You should flatten your work unless it is simple lettering. The thing is, while Adobe products are an industry standard, there are certain aspects that are still rather proprietary or specific/finicky in rendering a PDF file. Just flatten it.

Share via dropbox or use a FTP service to distribute files.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
EPS formats don't save ICC profiles, Therefore the colour will be messed up.
If you where sending me files, I would rather receive a flattened PDF/X-4 with embedded ICC profiles. Or a TIFF for raster images.

Realistically, you should be sending files how your print shop requests them. Not how you feel. At time you can create more work for your print shop than you'd think.

For example, I don't want crop marks or CMYK marks. Only give me bleeds if i ask you to (Job specific)
I like my files as a TIFF or a PDF/X-4. I do accept JPEG depending on the job. I don't really accept other formats even though people do like to send me .PS or .AI files which are ok as i can just save them how i wish.

peavey123

Cool Thanks for the input guys. I never knew EPS didn't save ICC profiles! Jesus...

I do just want to save the files how I would want them, but you're right. Just save how they request them. The thing is I've run many types of printers and rips and it's rare for me to have issues, but since working with these shops who rely solely on Flexi and Signlab there's been the odd colour issue and embedded images missing. They're just a mess if the files aren't completely flattened.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Why flatten an image before sending to the RIP? I think it is much more professional to send an non-flattened EPS or PDF. Flattening images basically takes all of the advantages of vector and throws it out the window. It adds unnecessary pixelization, makes the file unnecessarily large and which takes longer to RIP and, as far as I can see, has no advantages. So my question is, why? Does your RIP not support EPS and PDF files? It seems like an unnecessary hassle to me.

peavey123

Why flatten an image before sending to the RIP? I think it is much more professional to send an non-flattened EPS or PDF. Flattening images basically takes all of the advantages of vector and throws it out the window. It adds unnecessary pixelization, makes the file unnecessarily large and which takes longer to RIP and, as far as I can see, has no advantages. So my question is, why? Does your RIP not support EPS and PDF files? It seems like an unnecessary hassle to me.

Not my rip. I think you missed the OP. I agree with you, but I've been asked to send flattened files because of issues with Flexi and Signlab.

oksigns

I never see pixelation after rasterization with the exception of extremely small art that I attribute more to resolution as I can make out the individual lines- like small text at around 6pt and smaller, but that is my printer's limit.

I just output to the right resolution and I'm done. I use Versaworks, and rasterized artwork tends to be faster overall because it is a single asset as opposed to multiple layers and effects that need to be processed. The RIP process more or less does what the Adobe engine does when flattening, but I have the added security of consistency; knowing the artwork started in the Adobe software will look the same without risking missing a layer or effect.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au

Most RIPs work with EPS. But EPS format does NOT embed ICC profiles.

The reason you flatten images is so when the image is sent to the print shop, is so files don't get lost if the graphic designer forgets to embed an image.
And if it's done to the correct size, well there shouldn't be any pixelation issues at all. Yes the files will be larger, so what. headaches avoided from both ends.

AKwrapguy

Realistically, you should be sending files how your print shop requests them. Not how you feel. At time you can create more work for your print shop than you'd think.

From what it sounds like, your doing everything that you can to make it as easy for the printer as possible. Again everything that your doing is right, expanding outlines and text, embedding images rather than placing them, etc... to be honest I would be ecstatic to receive a file from an outside designer that did all that. But if it's better for their work flow and yours why not do it. Maybe give them the option.... Full editable with texts and outlines, editable with just colors and placement, and flattened from a FTP site that way they can choose.

Think if it this way, if your sending the flattened artwork to the printer, and the client decided to change something you have control of the master file. Depending on the client or the change that's needed you can than charge a fee.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
From what it sounds like, your doing everything that you can to make it as easy for the printer as possible. Again everything that your doing is right, expanding outlines and text, embedding images rather than placing them, etc... to be honest I would be ecstatic to receive a file from an outside designer that did all that. But if it's better for their work flow and yours why not do it. Maybe give them the option.... Full editable with texts and outlines, editable with just colors and placement, and flattened from a FTP site that way they can choose.

Think if it this way, if your sending the flattened artwork to the printer, and the client decided to change something you have control of the master file. Depending on the client or the change that's needed you can than charge a fee.

That's what i mean by you should be sending files how the print shop requests. If the shop prefers non flattered images ect, then that's how you should send the files.

Most of my work is Glass, so mostly raster images/photos.
If its signage or something else with vector lines, Then i'd like it as a PDF form in case i need to modify spot colours ect.

Kwiksigns

wookie
If it has transparencies whatsoever... just flatten it. Flexi can do OK about half the time with an eps and transparencies and gradients and shadows.... but only half the time. While it has improved, it is not up to par with supporting adobe 100%. If I am designing in corel or illy and I don't have to put it in flexi for any reason (which is becoming my preference lately anyway) I can save the file as an eps and it can be OK just in the flexi RIP but bring that same file into the design software and it will BUTCHER it...

If I don't need to make any changes and it is a print file ready to go.... I would want a flattened image honestly... That way, I don't have to worry about something getting lost... anywhere by any software..