• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design stress....anyone else ever get that?

vinylink0331

My husband and I currently run our own business and it is just the two of us. I currently do all of the design work. Sometimes I feel like my brain is going to explode. I am self taught as far as design work goes and sometimes I just feel like I wish I had some help. I am 6 1/2 months pregnant right not and I am really scatter brained right now. That does not help at all. I see some of the things that you guys design on here and I feel inferior. Like I could never measure up to some of the work on here. I feel like I need a design mentor or something. I want to improve on my skills. We are trying to move more into doing car wraps, but the thought of having to come up with all of those designs really just gives me a headache. I currently only work from Flexisign and do not currently have Photoshop or Corel. Do you feel like it is necessary for taking designs to the next level when it comes to flames and digital prints? I think it would help. Any suggestions on improving my design skills?

By the way, I also get tired of sitting on the computer all day and I think my but is getting flat. I don't guess there is a cure for that though.

jiarby

I get a blank now and then, usually when the customer has given me no parameters and/or no deadline. I work best with clear, precise instructions and a hard deadline.

I REALLY hate it when the custy tells me what they want... I draw it, and then they say they want something completely different (that they failed to mention earlier). I have a hard time getting motivated to get back to revising the layout.

I drew what you asked for. If you wanted that (the second thing) why didn't you ask for that to begin with! It seems to happen more when there is a mystery third party that the customer is showing the art to for feedback. Design by committee sucks.

Best design advice:
You are not Michaelangelo, and this coro sign is not the Sistine Chapel. Just draw SOMETHING and get it done already! <Jiarby's Wife, said like Cheech talking to Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup">

Second Best Design Advice:
Good enough is the enemy of greatness.

threeputt

Don't know much about the Flexi program. But if you're thinking about heading into design for vehicle wraps, you will need a good "paint" program. Most of us use PhotoShop.

But hone your layout skills. Too many wraps feature wonderful textures, bevels, letter treatments and such but fail in their primary purpose: ie: to get the message across in a clear, concise and understandable way.

Good luck. And congrats on the baby.

WildWestDesigns

I know when I started working with Illustrator I got the most stress from seeing that "blank artboard" then anything else. The more you do it, the more that stress goes away.

There are places to look for "inspiration" for design to give you that launching pad to at least get a design going. Even clip art books have helped me get off that initial hurdle.

I would suggest something like Illustrator or Coral, but then again, I don't use Flexisign, but I do think you have more options as far as "final product" with those programs versus Flexi, but then again I have never used it.

As far as suggestions, you could always try design classes at your local 2 or 4 yr university. There are also "self study classes" available online. Some are good and worthwhile, some are not. The Lyndia tutorials are good. Tip, trick, and dummy books help as well with workflow. I have had multiple books and there isn't one that I haven't gotten something out of it.

I am like you in the respect that I don't have formal education in graphic design, my formal education is in Agriculture and Economics, but I am/was a computer "nerd" and so it was very much the hobby with me at first. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know.

I wish the best and trust me I'm right there with you, but keep going with it, nothing like it when you have to work really hard on something and it comes to fruitition.

jc1cell

I see some of the things that you guys design on here and I feel inferior.

Second that emotion.

By the way, I also get tired of sitting on the computer all day and I think my but is getting flat. I don't guess there is a cure for that though.

I'm proof that there definitely is no cure for flat butt syndrome.

jc

SignManiac

I never get design stress, creativity runs through my veins. That's my smart ass answer :)

Your problem is a lack of knowledge. You can't expect to come up with ideas when you are self taught and don't have the basic fundamentals to design with. I've spent thirty six years studying and learning everything I can about design. You learn to see it and know what's right and wrong with a concept. I have thousands of tricks up my sleeve that make it far easier for me than it would be for you or most others. Good design is no accident, the more knowledge you have pertaining to it, the easier it becomes.

GypsyGraphics

i've been a fairly successful graphic designer for 13 years and still see things here that make me feel inferior. mostly the speed at which these people design! my biggest frustration is NOT being able to design on demand (hence my signature). but there are times when i know i'm a great designer. i know as i'm working on a great idea that it will be an award winning design (unless the client throws their 2 cents in).

yes, i think Photoshop and Illustrator (or Corel) skills are necessary, not that they will make you a good designer... but to bring your design idea to life... yes, absolutely necessary. you or someone in your shop needs those skills. that's not to say the creative mind and the person who brings the ideas to life has to be one in the same.

it sounds unlikely that you'll have much time for education right now, with a baby on the way. i'd suggest bringing in someone creative and skilled... and don't be embarrassed to let them know you want to learn from them.

as for the widening hind side... that'll go away when you start trying to keep up with your baby's energy level! babies are great but-kickers... try having two in diapers at the same time, that'll kick your butt for sure... and later, maybe much later, when you can make time for yourself... try Zumba!

I never get design stress, creativity runs through my veins. That's my smart ass answer :)
aaaand now i hate you! it's a love hate thing

dlndesign

To really hit the nail on the head, using forms like s101 is a good starting point. Post your designs, get critique, (that's what I had to do in design school), get hammered by everyone else suggestions, filter it down to common denominators, refine, refine, refine, then get some more crits, your bound to find your strengths and weaknesses pretty fast.

Once you do, focus on those talents, and exploit them. And don't just get crits here, go out and throw up a few posts on other design forums, get a wide variety of responses.

There are designers who will design a great logo but can't design a vehicle wrap for the life of them. Its all in what you think and feel your good at and pushing it forward.

My wife had pregnancy brain too, good luck with your design work.

petesign

In my opinion, Illustrator and Photoshop are a must.

I see designs on here that blow my mind all of the time, but seeing them makes me a better designer. I am self-taught as well, and have been using Adobe products for 12 years now. I think I have learned more in the last 8 months since finding Signs101 than in the 5 years leading up to that time.

I used to get stuck in the pitfalls threeputt mentioned - bevels, outer glows, etc all over the place when I first started - but a good clean sign has become my goal... and I still aspire to achieve it :)

Best of luck! Use the wisdom of folks here as inspiration, and don't let it get you down. Just by seeing what you could do better makes you better than most of the people out there in your market, I would bet.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I only get stuck when something is on my mind... I walk it off, look at a few books or older magazines I have not cracked open in a while, go get a coffee, taunt the parrots, then go back to the design process.

vinylink0331

Hey, Sign Maniac, I am not 36 yet, so I guess you got me beat. I forgot to mention that I do attend school full-time as well, have a four year old and a baby on the way. Full-plate as they say. I have thought about incorportating some design classes, but I don't know how much a few classes are going to teach me. I am a perfectionist. That is my main problem. I always want my design to be better. I often sacrifice my time, when I should just make sure I go with what the customer paid for. It is a learning process. I think I am a little burnt out as they say. Maybe a vacation is in order, especially since I havent had one in over 4 years.

Marco

Don't feel too bad. I recommend you tube learning videos for any software you think of. As far as design, google it, you will find aspiring work there; you may even find some work of guys from this forum. As far as the butt thing, some of us like flat and wide. ;-)) good luck ahead, keep learning.

Pinfinity

SM...If your like me, I bet you have every issue of Signcraft mag since its conception.How sick is that!

Fitch

Everyone... and I mean EVERYONE has a "style". Maybe you haven't found yours yet.

You mentioned about being "unworthy" to some of the "Gods" on here.

But if you have a close look, many designs are similar or have a feel...and most likely you can say "Oh that's XXXX 's work".

Take yourself down to the supermarket and walk the shelves. Take a photo of all the labels that you are attracted to. You will find it much simpler to replicate a particular style if you are drawn to it. You will also see the way colour is used to emote a feeling, whether it be positive, or fun, or trust.

Compare the way a cereal box is designed compared to coffee, ice cream or olives. Even compare the way the cheaper, more consumed ice cream labels are designed compared to the niche market adult "treat" ice cream packaging. Same product, different target market.

You will also see how the use of different font styles rlate to the attractiveness, the integrity or the longevity of the product.

The choice of font, colour, layout and message is VERY important. This is most paramount in the wine section of a liquor store, where it is estimated a choice takes no longer than 8 minutes in total, so it is TOTALLY about the ability to attract rather than the content of the bottle.

Just two tips I thought might help.

Oh... and EVERYONE gets design block. It's only the gap between that varies.

Cheers - G

James Chrimes

Inspiration is all around you. Create a folder on your desktop and call it inspiration. any time you find a design that makes you stop and say neat... copy it to the folder. Dont copy the designs, but use elements of them and ask yourself, what is it about the design that makes it appealing. Knowing what it is that makes a good design is the main battle. There is always plenty of good inspiration in the photo gallery on this site.

vinylink0331

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some really great ideas for inspiration. I think I just need to feel excited about what I am doing again. I will try out some of the ideas that were posted. And yes, I have stacks of Signcraft. Beautiful work featured in there. I think I will start posting more of my designs to in order to get some feed back. I have a few things coming up that will be good. I probably will start with our personal car wrap for our business.

signswi

Enroll in a 2-year design program at a local university, 4-year even better. Technical skills can be self-taught; process, philosophy, training your eye, etc. is significantly harder to do on your own. There's also a saying: design is only design when it's collaborative. Being a solo designer, especially a self-taught one, is exceedingly difficult to sustain.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Design is something that almost everyone views differently as how to get your final goal, but the results are all the same.

I believe your hormones might be kicking, but I don't want to be accused of being a stupid frickin' inconsiderate guy for that one. :rolleyes:

Usually if you get some sort of block, just walk away, do another project and then come back later. Heck, go for some ice cream or throw another log on the fire, but you're only going to wear yourself out thinking about something and constantly looking for distractions. People actually will find things to go wrong, just so they can blame that other thing as to why they can't get the juices flowing..... :Oops: you're already pregnant. Disregard that one. :doh:

Slowly build your library and stay within your means and make things work as you can. Raising a family might be more important to you than getting a wrap design finished, so set your priorities and don't side-step them. As things come together for you..... keep adding to your arsenal of design tools and eventually you'll have it complete. By then the kids will be in college and that will be an altogether different set of problems. :covereyes:

Good luck.. juggling :thumb:

mark in tx

Sounds like you have too much activity in your daily life.
With a baby on the way, you really need to cut back, just the physical process of growing a baby is wearing your body down, any source of stress you can eliminate will help.

As far as creativity, now is the time to replace that stressful activity with something like going to an art gallery, a farmers market, an antique shop, etc... and look at everything from your designers perspective.
You have been in "work" mode for so long, it might take a bit of time to get back into "relax" mode.