• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Designers? Any competent ones out there?

D

Digitall

Actually being a graphic designer does not make them experts in all areas of graphic layout. I know a few graphic designers who are giants in their trade but couldn't set up a cut file if their life depended on it. Nor do they want too.

Looks like you will either learn to live with it and help educate your clients or you will have a nice breakdown.. They do not have the particular skills that it takes to run a router table. I myself did not have the insight into those skills until I ran one myself. There are others here running routers who all have the same outlook. Those files will continue to come in "not ready" for eternity. It's not a fault. It's a fact of life.

I would go up there with the attitude of enlightenment rather than its "its their fault". Complaining creates a victim mentality.

Good luck...

Good solid advice

omgsideburns

I think all design schools should be giving appropriate time to students to understanding the production side of the business. ............

That's asking quite a lot from a school. I've had some resumes come through the shop over the last year with people who have graduated from the local community college design program (only a 2 year degree, but hell...) ... and the thing that seperates it from a Gen Ed degree is a general computing class, and two different "digital graphics" classes that touch on how to use Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel, and Bryce 3d (srsly? bryce? why?). Not even any art class requirements. The four years around here have decent programs, but most of what you see are communications degrees with a minor in art. NONE of this stuff is industry specific.

On-the-job training is still important, and as long as we're talking employees and not customers... Your employee should understand every aspect of the jobs they affect by doing their job. Only then will they really be able to do their job, and allow others to work efficiently.

As far as customers not understanding how to follow some simple specs, bless their hearts, they will probably never learn, and that just means $$$ for me.

synergy_jim

seriously.... some of the best talent I have seen is coming out of the computer animation and engineering field. I just did a second interview with a person that is graduating this may, and she has it all.... AutoCAD, 3D Studio Max, Illustrator, Photoshop, the works. The kicker is they can hand draw and learn story boarding also....

Maybe I am partial because it's the program I came out of 8 years ago....

briderx

seriously.... some of the best talent I have seen is coming out of the computer animation and engineering field. I just did a second interview with a person that is graduating this may, and she has it all.... AutoCAD, 3D Studio Max, Illustrator, Photoshop, the works. The kicker is they can hand draw and learn story boarding also....

Maybe I am partial because it's the program I came out of 8 years ago....

Crazy.. Snatch her up..

All my training was "on the job". Even though I b#### so much about this, I AM happy, as I now have some amazing designing experience. I have had to figure out SO MUCH in the little time I have been here, it's been one wild ride. I went from knowing NOTHING, to getting a GOOD understanding of Corel, Flexi, Neon Wiz and Enroute.. Not bad for a blank resume.