• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Designing a sandblasted sign...

SonSigns

I have been asked to design a sign to be sandblasted on a wood blank but my question is would I design them the same as what I do with the vinyl or custom logo designs? How do you guys start out designing for a Dimensional sign?

iSign

who is blasting it?
who is cutting and applying the mask?
who is painting it?
how familiar are you with the process?

There are several steps, and there are multiple options available at every step of the way.
it should be designed similar to a vinyl sign in the sense that you objecting should be an effective sign that meets the needs of the client, which should be discussed & in some cases identified by you, and taught (sold) to them... but in all cases should result in a legible attractive & durable result.

If you understand the process then you won't allow the design phase to make cutting, weeding or applying the mask impossible, nor will you create painting nightmares, unless that is unavoidable & you charged accordingly.

If you don't understand the process, or the optional masking materials, application methods, & paint vs. masking sequences... then this thread needs to assist you with that information first... but if you already know that... well, you probably wouldn't be posting this if you did, but tell us how much you know, so we know where to start helping...

washingtonsignguy

Sandblasted Signs can be alot of fun. When designing them you need to make sure not to cram in information, evenly space things out, alittle more than normal. Let the backround show, The background has tecture to it and if you cover it with a bunch or raised text and graphics, then whats the point. I do not create any lines less than .187" in thickness, 1/4" is on the safer side. Smaller than this and the stencial might blow off during blasting or the part might chip off during painting and handling. Come up with your design then turn to black and white, with the raised in black, and imagine how this will look and work. You can do different elevations with sandblasting, but because this is your first, i wouldnt worry about that, get a good undestanding of the process first. These are just a couple things that come to mind, I would suggest coming up with a design and then posting it for more pointers in this regard.