• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Designing a sign with led lighting

Cyclynn

Happy, Happy people! I am not skilled with led lighting (although I'd like to be!). I need some help designing a cool, 3-d lit sign (no, not a backlit cabinet sign) for the attached logo. I was inspired by Dan Antonelli's "KickCharge Creative" sign on the cover of the November/December issue of Signcraft Magazine (see pages 28 and 30). Can anyone help me with this project?b Help as in... I'll subcontract this. I've got an above the door half circle shape we can put it in that measures 27" tall by 143" wide (picture of this space attached). Thanks! Lynn

Attachments

• AdventurePeddler-LogoFinal-2018.JPG
    AdventurePeddler-LogoFinal-2018.JPG
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 445
  • windowdoor.JPG
    windowdoor.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 424

henryz

Hello Cyclynn, I don't think I've ever heard of that magazine in my 20 yrs plus in the industry but then again I'm from Cali. I'm no designer but here are some ideas for you. Your background can be aluminum panel with digital, AP halo or dual view letters middle copy can be pinned mount letters that will illuminate with the backlit bottom box that will also have a lens on the top for up light of adventure letters, bikes can be push thru or backed up?

Attachments

• AP led sign letters.jpg
    AP led sign letters.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 390

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Ummm, so if you didn't know this.... The Kickcharge sign is a backlit cabinet sign (hopefully the link works) you can see the process on House of Signs Facebook Page
House of Signs

Basically it's a backlit sign with push-thru, that sidelights the letters and logos because they are capped with an opaque material. Some portions are baffled because it illuminated different colors.

The logo you are showing has some issues that would need to be overcome for it to look okay. A sign shop with some design sensibilities can be hard to find. That's probably why Dan went to a shop in Colorado for his sign.
If you are looking for something similar to Kickcharge - can the client afford it? and can you change portions of the logo to make it workable in an internally illuminated sign? If this cam across my desk I would have to rework it to make it look good. I wouldn't mess around, I would give House of Signs a call...
Colorado Custom Signs | CO Carved Signs | CO Sandblasted Signs | Rustic Wood Signs CO | Handcrafted Signs CO | House of Signs Co

Rick

I don't think I've ever heard of that magazine in my 20 yrs plus in the industry

Really? I thought your shop was featured in it at one point... I wouldn't know which issue but I have nearly every one of them...

henryz

Well, probably we get all of them but that one. Maybe never paid attention to them. I see your close by nice weather huh?

Cyclynn

Ummm, so if you didn't know this.... The Kickcharge sign is a backlit cabinet sign (hopefully the link works) you can see the process on House of Signs Facebook Page
House of Signs

Basically it's a backlit sign with push-thru, that sidelights the letters and logos because they are capped with an opaque material. Some portions are baffled because it illuminated different colors.

The logo you are showing has some issues that would need to be overcome for it to look okay. A sign shop with some design sensibilities can be hard to find. That's probably why Dan went to a shop in Colorado for his sign.
If you are looking for something similar to Kickcharge - can the client afford it? and can you change portions of the logo to make it workable in an internally illuminated sign? If this cam across my desk I would have to rework it to make it look good. I wouldn't mess around, I would give House of Signs a call...
Colorado Custom Signs | CO Carved Signs | CO Sandblasted Signs | Rustic Wood Signs CO | Handcrafted Signs CO | House of Signs Co
Thank you! I had considered contacting them, but I thought the price might be prohibitive. I'm open, then, to the idea of a backlit cabinet sign if we can make it look good

Rick

So I've been thinking about this...

I think in order for you to get various bids, it would be a really good idea to nail down exactly what you want to do... that way you can get competitive bids and not have everyone give you a million options or they may even charge you for their take on it, maybe 2 options in case budget is an issue. If a bidding shop has ideas, then you can decide how much alteration on the design can be done

First thing is, if you use the logo as designed, the width of the logo makes for a small sign (and copy) "ADVENTURE PEDDLER" is 3 3/4" high, "BIKES & BOARDS" is 1 3/4" high
I'm not saying the larger idea is the solution, but ADVENTURE PEDDLER" is 6 1/4" high, "BIKES & BOARDS" is 3" high

-- The logo may have issues with contrast with the dark letters over green
-- The gradient is not very appealing on the mountains, and may not be all that appealing on the "AP"
-- The "AP" logo looks like it was designed to look dimensional, if you are actually making it dimensional, I would get rid of the dimensional aspect of it

Attachments

• ap - size-101-c.jpeg
    ap - size-101-c.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 354
  • ap - size-101-b.jpeg
    ap - size-101-b.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 371
  • ap - size-101-a.jpeg
    ap - size-101-a.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 347

Cyclynn

So I've been thinking about this...

I think in order for you to get various bids, it would be a really good idea to nail down exactly what you want to do... that way you can get competitive bids and not have everyone give you a million options or they may even charge you for their take on it, maybe 2 options in case budget is an issue. If a bidding shop has ideas, then you can decide how much alteration on the design can be done

First thing is, if you use the logo as designed, the width of the logo makes for a small sign (and copy) "ADVENTURE PEDDLER" is 3 3/4" high, "BIKES & BOARDS" is 1 3/4" high
I'm not saying the larger idea is the solution, but ADVENTURE PEDDLER" is 6 1/4" high, "BIKES & BOARDS" is 3" high

-- The logo may have issues with contrast with the dark letters over green
-- The gradient is not very appealing on the mountains, and may not be all that appealing on the "AP"
-- The "AP" logo looks like it was designed to look dimensional, if you are actually making it dimensional, I would get rid of the dimensional aspect of it
Wow, Rick, I like your reply (thank you for thinking about it!) and your samples. I really like the middle one. I sent just the AP off to Gemini for a quote, but I typically don't like the way they light things. I've got a CNC router fella here I use for subcontracting, and might be able to get something done like that and see if I can find local help for other fabrication, but I just had a wet blanket thrown over my head with the customer's budget for it. That just came in this morning... $100 or less. Yea... right...