• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Designing Logo Black/White

Pinfinity

I'm following the advise of some pros here and revised a logo I was working on in B/W. This is the first logo I have designed in a couple of years layoff.
Please share your thoughts....Thanx

Attachments

• DairensonBW1.jpg
    DairensonBW1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 91

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
That is not black and white... it's black white and gray...

Pinfinity

I stand to be corrected Rick, I should have said monochromatic, I'm really looking for opinions on the layout.

Rick

What you should do is, do it in black and white... look at the issues you have, then post it... monochromatic is still using color to either make up for shortcomings, or most likely, attempting to simulate color and not concentrating on the core elements of the design.

I myself believe a logo should probably work somewhat in black and white, but since it's the lowest form of replication, it should not drive the design.

Dan Antonelli

It's not bad, but I have never been fond of relying on heavy outlines on main copy that sits on a background of the same value. So where your DA and NS sit outside, it's dependent on a outlining to 'hold' it and make it legible. I this instance, if you choose to go this route, it should probably be heavier so the tops of the letters to not blend.

You might try your outer ring light, and panel light, and then main copy black, outlined in white. This way you're not dependent on the outline to make the copy legible, and I bet your main copy then pops more instead of blending into the BG a bit.....

The stencil typography will suffer on distance legibility, and the secondary copy could use a better typeface selection. I think maybe there's some better typeface options for the main copy - it's not communicating 'craftsmanship' as much as I think a different face might.

All in all, this really isn't bad, and is better than most. Panel based layouts can be effective, although I feel like its been a while since we've gone this route.

Pinfinity

With all due respect Rick, when you view this logo there are many elements composing the design. Take the circle for example, should I have just shown black outlines with a white fill where the grey borders are. Or the inner portion of the circle, if I were to make those elements black it would be welded to the shadow in the title and rectangle containing construction. To me, I can visualize the foreground, background, and middle values of the design. SignManiac has also instructed me to compose in B/W. I know I'm not sure the procedure in handling this type of graphic. Try to be patient, I know you guys know what your talking about. Should I have started this graphic more simplistic before adding bells n whistles? Thanx

Pinfinity

Hey thank you Dan, I have followed your work for years, and I respect your wisdom. Yes, I need to gear up with a new font library and so much more. I am currently using only flexi and windows fonts for the work. No excuses though, I understand and visualize what your explaining to me. I guess I'm a little behind the times. Will make revisions accordingly. Thanks again. I'm just starting the biz up after a few years off, and this forum is so helpfulwith some of the best craftsman out there. This could never have been possible years ago.

Rick

With all due respect Rick, when you view this logo there are many elements composing the design. Take the circle for example, should I have just shown black outlines with a white fill where the grey borders are. Or the inner portion of the circle, if I were to make those elements black it would be welded to the shadow in the title and rectangle containing construction. To me, I can visualize the foreground, background, and middle values of the design. SignManiac has also instructed me to compose in B/W. I know I'm not sure the procedure in handling this type of graphic. Try to be patient, I know you guys know what your talking about. Should I have started this graphic more simplistic before adding bells n whistles? Thanx

I'll give you a quick example... Jack Ripper was looking for a logo, but i never submitted it, while I was going hog wild on the effects, I thought better see how it works with only basic elements... I designed it backwards.....

If I designed it in black and white and added the elements, I still had a base to go off of....

the same with the Pizzeria... I knew they would need a single color for the boxes, so I made sure when I was designing it, it could be made in a single color.... On that logo i did a hand sketch with pencil, then designed it.

On your logo, the planer seems to be too low ...

The vertical lines are distracting.

I agree with Dan on the stencil... the other thing about stencil is Home depot uses it... the complete opposite of craftsmanship

The kerning looks off on the main name... probably not noticeable in color, it shows on your layout... not to thrilled about the type... if it was in upper case, the planer would have something solid to sit on....

the Pierce logo below I did not do, a talented designer on another site did.. It works on the craftsmen level, works in b/w if it had too, and the illustration adds an artistic element to it.

Attachments

• PIZZERIA-OUTLINECONT.jpg
    PIZZERIA-OUTLINECONT.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 91
  • PEIRCE.jpg
    PEIRCE.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 83
  • jr logo color bw.jpg
    jr logo color bw.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 74

Pinfinity

I have a better understanding now Rick, I see what your explaining to me. I need to re train my way of thinking from what I'm currently doing. I have been trying to put the horse before the carriage if you will. Thanks again, for taking the time and visuals to better explain the concept. ps..your work is top shelf. I'm getting to know some of the people on this forum who have been gifted with an incredible amount of talent.

SignManiac

Pin, I had a few minutes while trying to warm up and played with your concept. This is a basic start of how I would approach it. Centerpiece art needs something besides clip art. I'd develop that further if I was going to use it in a logo. From here, you could easily add more detail and color elements but the basis for a solid design holds up okay in black and white.

Attachments

• Daire & Sons.jpg
    Daire & Sons.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 89

Dan Antonelli

This was one I did many years ago with a plane, which we drew. http://www.graphicd-signs.com/portfolio-logo-contractors#23

There's a few other designs in that gallery you might find relevant (as panel based logos).

THis one, similar to Ricks, also is a panel based logo. But note the use of dark primary copy with light outlining, as opposed the other way around. This logo is enormously busy, and not designed for outdoor use. Should it have gone on a truck, I may have reconsidered a lot about it. http://www.graphicd-signs.com/portfolio-logo-food#3

Pinfinity

SM and Dan, I truley have so much respect for your expertise. You have opened my eyes into taking a step back and re inventing the way I should proceed in what is the most important aspect of any sign.. "Design Skills"! Thanx so much for taking the time to share your wisdom with me and all the others on this forum who have a desire to learn from the best in the business. Makes me feel great about jumping back in the biz.