• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Designing Monument Sign - Difficult Location

MMartin_SAR

Hey all.

I've run into an issue with a monument sign design for my client.

The location for the sign has a number of restrictive issues. There are 30' oak trees all over the property. The location is also located off a highway with strict scenic regulations from the city. We originally were designing a +30' vertical monument sign to be seen over the trees and fit the grand campus it would belong to. However, when we learned of the restriction we discovered the sign can be 14' high max.

I've really hit a wall with designing a statement piece with great visibility and impact. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
30' for an oak tree is kinda small. They must be young trees. That being said, your average oak tree grows at least 50' or more. All the oak trees on my property at home, neighbors and around the area are at least 75' tall. So, in a few years, your sign setup would be hidden unless you went 100' in the air.

What's the viewing distance this sign will be seen ??

Kali539

This sounds like a neat project, def want to see the results. what type of monument is it to be? And what are your other restrictions? size at ground level, etc. maybe it can't be taller than 14', but could you expand its base size to get a larger impact/visibility? is this to be seen from the highway you mentioned?

Billct2

More info needed (what other restrictions, electric/non, single/multi tenant etc) and pics of the location

shoresigns

For clarity, a monument sign is one that is at ground level and usually more horizontal in proportion, whereas a pylon sign is one that's elevated/tall/vertical. If you have a 14' height limit, then a large monument sign is probably better than a short pylon sign.

Echoing above, you need to give a lot more details if you want help generating ideas, most importantly the address of the site.