Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Designing Monument Sign - Difficult Location

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by MMartin_SAR, Nov 5, 2019.

1. MMartin_SAR

MMartin_SAR New Member

Sep 19, 2019
    Houston, TX
    Hey all.

I've run into an issue with a monument sign design for my client.

The location for the sign has a number of restrictive issues. There are 30' oak trees all over the property. The location is also located off a highway with strict scenic regulations from the city. We originally were designing a +30' vertical monument sign to be seen over the trees and fit the grand campus it would belong to. However, when we learned of the restriction we discovered the sign can be 14' high max.

I've really hit a wall with designing a statement piece with great visibility and impact. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    30' for an oak tree is kinda small. They must be young trees. That being said, your average oak tree grows at least 50' or more. All the oak trees on my property at home, neighbors and around the area are at least 75' tall. So, in a few years, your sign setup would be hidden unless you went 100' in the air.

What's the viewing distance this sign will be seen ??

3. Kali539

Kali539 New Member

Apr 8, 2019
    Dundalk
    This sounds like a neat project, def want to see the results. what type of monument is it to be? And what are your other restrictions? size at ground level, etc. maybe it can't be taller than 14', but could you expand its base size to get a larger impact/visibility? is this to be seen from the highway you mentioned?

4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    More info needed (what other restrictions, electric/non, single/multi tenant etc) and pics of the location

5. spectrum maine

spectrum maine Member

Nov 1, 2012
    biddeford, maine
    give more info- budget lotsa photos ideas? so we can help

6. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    For clarity, a monument sign is one that is at ground level and usually more horizontal in proportion, whereas a pylon sign is one that's elevated/tall/vertical. If you have a 14' height limit, then a large monument sign is probably better than a short pylon sign.

Echoing above, you need to give a lot more details if you want help generating ideas, most importantly the address of the site.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1