• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Designjet 500 ok for outdoor printing?

Carter13

Hello everyone.

There's a HP Designjet 500 42-in Printer at a local auction coming up, and I'm thinking of bidding on it if it will print for outdoor use.

I think that I understand that the solvent type (and not aqueous?) of inks are much better for outdoor use, is that correct?

For the printer specs, it shows:
'Ink types
Dye-based (color), pigment-based (black)'

So, that ink would be aqueous ('which is water-based')? Or, would it last outdoors for a reasonable amount of time?

I'm looking to advertise on the side of a box truck, but use banners so they'd be interchangeable.

Also, it seems that there is a lot of maintenance with these larger printers. Would there be with this one as well? Would I need a rip, profiles, and things like that for this printer? Those things may come with it if applicable, I don't know yet.

Also, even to use the printer to print decals or whatever that would be then put outside, the printer would still need the outdoor type of ink, if it exists?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm new to this whole thing.

Dice

AQ inks are for Indoor use. If you plan on printing anything AQ for outdoor use you will need to laminate first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkjet_printer

I'm not sure on the 500, but the 5500 has an internal Rip and a webserver so you can send files to it directly with out the need of software.

From what your looking to do you really need a solvent based system.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Do not buy that machine, not even pigmented inks can go in that machine. Definetly not for signage.

Carter13

Thanks for the replies.

Would a ColorSpan DisplayMaker DM XII with the PermaChrome outdoor pigmented ink work out, and last? It says up to 3 years outdoors, but not sure how acurate their estimate is.

For a large banner of about 7 x 15 feet, the wholesale cost is about $2.50/sq ft, correct? That is as low as it gets for such a large banner dimensions?

sjm

I think yo need to define outdoor use. Are you talking 6 months to 1 year? Or greater?

sjm

Fair enough, though the market for seasonal banners is much larger. For proof of that just visit a Home Depot or Loews.

Carter13

Ok, I see what you're saying now, I think - that if the banner is for a water park, it probably wouldn't be very useful in December.

I really don't know what the banners will even have on them for sure. I'm hoping to get a couple businesses to advertise on them, and advertise for myself as well.

The idea behind using banner material is that the advertisers can have their banner when they're done using my services. I don't know if that would be much of a bonus to a business or not however, or even how practical it is.

OldPaint

Well, hopefully 3 years, I guess using 13 ounce vinyl banner material.
1st off:
BANNERS ARE CONSIDERED TEMPORARY SIGNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!
so you need to understand that. expecting 3 yrs on temp sub-straight is crazy.
now, as for a water based ink printer, i have an ENCAD 736. now i can do TEMPORARY BANNERS with it. this is 3 months to 9 months at best!!!!
any more then that........YOU NEED TO UP SELL TO PERMANENT SIGNAGE.
these cost more money for the client, but you can get 3-5 years outa them.
REMEMBER,
CORO, MAGS, BANNERS ARE ALL TEMPORARY SIGNS!!!!!!

Carter13

BANNERS ARE CONSIDERED TEMPORARY SIGNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!
so you need to understand that. expecting 3 yrs on temp sub-straight is crazy.

Because of the flexibility? I thought vinyl was relatively tough and could last for a long time without deteriorating.

now, as for a water based ink printer, i have an ENCAD 736. now i can do TEMPORARY BANNERS with it. this is 3 months to 9 months at best!!!!
any more then that........YOU NEED TO UP SELL TO PERMANENT SIGNAGE.

Ok, and that is with using the GO pigmented ink that works for this printer, for outdoor applications, or with the dye ink? Or, does it not really matter, with it being not a long time frame?

I don't know what king of permanent sign material to use for the side of the truck then, if I want to make the ads changeable. I know of flatbed printers and gator board, but then I guess the ad would have to be multiple pieces which seems like it wouldn't be as nice, and, I'm guessing having printing done using one of these is more expensive than a roll material printer.

I guess maybe painting on ads for myself only is the cheapest way to get something going, but I'm afraid it would look bad.

Anyway, thanks again for your time and the information.

Bradster941

Because of the flexibility? I thought vinyl was relatively tough and could last for a long time without deteriorating.

No my friend.

If using water base inks in discontinued printers was acceptable and long lasting, no one here would be spending $20K...$30K or more on solvent printers.

Its all about the ink..

Well, that and the substrate.

Why use MDO / Aluminum / etc. if we can just use banner material?

Kind of like why the windshield in your car is made out of thick glass instead of Saran Wrap ®

Last edited: