• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Designjet 9000

Ahmed Samy Nagada

I have a very strange problem with my Designjet 9000, as soon as I start printing all printheads start to drop nozzles and soon it starts to print blank as if there is ink starvation, I cancel printing and run IQ test (without cleaning) and it comes out perfect, I repeat the IQ test for 5 or 6 times and still perfect, I start printing again and ink cuts out after less than 5 cm.

Replaced USB cable, replaced the RIP computer, used another RIP software and another computer still the problem exists.

Please note attached files.

Attachments

• 9001.jpg
    9001.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 9002.jpg
    9002.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 135

swirls

Have you tried WASH PRINTHEAD for overnight?
Maybe its a voltage issue with the printheads. Weather too high or low.

sowinski_t

This is a fascinating problem... I hope it gets resolved because I will be very keen to hear what the cause of it is.
Printhead voltage sounds like a possibility, I would also check ink lines, connections and dampers in case there is a slow leak somewhere. I'm thinking it "buffers" during the pause before printing the IQ test maybe...

Ahmed Samy Nagada

Checked all ink lines, replaced dampers and flex cables and still problem exists.
Even if the ink buffers during the pause before printing IQ test, that will make it print at least for the same number of passes on normal print, but it doesn't it cut's out from the third or forth pass.

SAM*INK

BSc, MSc, MBA. Director & CEO.
The viscosity or surface-tension of the ink could have changed.
When the carriage stops, the ink refills into the peizo chambers.
But on continuous printing, the flow of ink into the piezo chambers is starved.
What is the temperature in the room?

Ahmed Samy Nagada

I don't think this is the issue, as I can print IQ test (8 inches of solid color) 10 times continuously without any ink starvation, while I can't print 2 inches of halftone from any file. Please check attached files at the beginning of the post. By the way, I'm a SAM Ink user.

J Hill Designs

can you pause your print from computer, do a light cleaning, and report back what happens when you continue the print after clean?

SAM*INK

BSc, MSc, MBA. Director & CEO.
Dear Ahmed,
Thank you for the business.
Which RIP are you using for the 9000s?

woahdude

im guessing its a problem with the head filling with ink. i had a similar problem tho it didnt happen as fast

does the iq test print at the same speed and pass as the banner? you may not be doing a cleaning each banner but the printer still fills the head with ink. if its not forcing ink through the head continuously i bet its losing pressure and just stops firing. i would check the dampers and ink lines

i had a tech come in for my problem and he replaced the dampers, ink lines from the head and capping station and havent had it dropout since

pbausch

HP 9000s dampers

I've seen a lot of answers saying change the dampers. Could someone tell me where the dampers are in this printer. I don't have the same problem as described but I do have a lot of problems with the Cyan and Black heads staying solid.

Ahmed Samy Nagada

Finally the problem was solved, it was an ink problem, it seems that the warehouse conditions aren't good enough for ink storage.

As for the dampers, you will find it below the carriage PCB.