• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Desktop color laser or inkjet printer?

Signs Express

So it looks like our current desktop, multi-function inkjet is on it's way out. I'd say we go through one of these every couple years.

For my replacement should I go with color laser or inkjet again? We are printing our color design proofs on this printer. What's your advice?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have better luck matching colors on an inkjet than a laser printer.

I can run thick funky paper stock on my laser and regular paper and still looks almost as good as an inkjet on photo-paper. My inkjet 11 x 17 photo-paper is very pricey.

My laser can pop out prints super quick, sometimes I need that on larger presentations on 11" x 17".

Laser toner is very expensive, my 4 toners on my laser run me close to 1000 bucks a set, then there is imaging unit and fuser roll and maintenance agreement (mine has lasped so my laser sits idle most of the time)

First look at the price of consumables, triple your coverage per page because you will probably burn through toner 3 times faster than they calculate. If you are doing larger presentations, want to run a variety of paper and need the speed and can justify the .75-$1.50 a print, then go laser. The average small sign shop is probably fine without one.

B Snyder

Rick- my current laser is an HP 2605dn. I find the toner to be much less expensive than ink. A new set of OEM toner costs ~$275 and lasts 2,000 to 2,500 sheets.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
That toner is way cheaper... impressive. I wish it did tabloid. I may get one anyway...