• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Desperately need advice on logo

Atomic DNA

My main company/business is called Atomic Airbrush and I have built this name up over a few years now. Our business model is changing and heading in the direction of cut and sew/sublimation. I would like to carry on with our name as it is recognized locally. I originally made my logo and would also like to play off of the original.

I have decided to call the new business Atomic Designs & Apparel, or Atomic D&A for short. I really like the sound of it and think it encompasses more of what we do now and not limited to "airbrush". We have always been diversified in what we do and I really need to expand my customers thought processes.

Since we are manufacturing shirts and the like as per FTC regulations, any shirt manufacturer must apply in a permanent way to the shirt (either with a tag or tag less print) a few pieces of information such as content of materials, source of origin, care instructions and R/N number. We are imprinting the inside of the shirt with this information. This brings me to my recognition label I will be sewing into the 5/8" hem on the bottom of the shirt. Here is where I need the help.

I will be using my original Atomic logo and will be adding "Designs and Apparel". No big deal there. The recognition tag is giving me problems.

You can see the look I am going for with the red one. I would like to triple stack this "ATOMIC DNA, or D&A" in a way that looks creative. I like the idea of having block style, non-serif letters but I really do not know at this point as I have been staring at it for too long and brain is going numb. Anyone have suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 6.37.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 6.37.44 PM.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 6.37.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 6.37.13 PM.png
    33 KB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 7.10.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 7.10.40 PM.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 100

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Pic 1

- Atomic is very extended and designs and apparel is a condensed font; they don't work well.

Pic 2

- Atomic DNA looks like a warning sign that should be around a Chernobyl play ground...
Not very inviting.

Pic 3

- Text is too stretched and airbrush run off on the right side.

Atomic DNA

Thanks to the response guys. When I designed the Atomic logo a few years ago I did not want to use the proverbial atomic logo that everyone knows. Our town is know as the "Atomic City" due to the D.O.E's uranium enrichment processing facility located here. Due to the facility basically being a toxic situation I just connected the dots making use of a biohazard logo. I don't know, I've always liked the symmetrical and unique look of the symbol vs the proton, neutron, and electron look.

The black and white atomic logo was just the basic look for ease of reproduction and the black and green is what I use quite a bit on different raster projects.

The red logo is what is on trial here. I just referenced the others as why I wanted to play off my original company's logo.

The red logo has to be a bit bold as it is always going to be very small (less than a square inch). If I can't get the font or layout right I may just use the biohazard logo only. Definitely appreciate the criticism.

Craig Sjoquist

Assumes your going for more younger crowd that likes this type warning label ... suggest putting DNA under ATOMIC your eye will focus better then find a color or change colors ... but make it powerful

idsignsil

I think you need to use an & instead of a N. If I did not know who you were or what you did, when I see DNA it makes me think of the genetic DNA we are all made of.

natedawg9640

Thanks to the response guys. When I designed the Atomic logo a few years ago I did not want to use the proverbial atomic logo that everyone knows. Our town is know as the "Atomic City" due to the D.O.E's uranium enrichment processing facility located here. Due to the facility basically being a toxic situation I just connected the dots making use of a biohazard logo. I don't know, I've always liked the symmetrical and unique look of the symbol vs the proton, neutron, and electron look.

The black and white atomic logo was just the basic look for ease of reproduction and the black and green is what I use quite a bit on different raster projects.

The red logo is what is on trial here. I just referenced the others as why I wanted to play off my original company's logo.

The red logo has to be a bit bold as it is always going to be very small (less than a square inch). If I can't get the font or layout right I may just use the biohazard logo only. Definitely appreciate the criticism.

i think what the original reference to the bio hazard symbol not working is becasue bio hazard has nothing to do with radioactive. bio hazard is implying a danger from a pathogen transmitted via life form or something organic. the radioactive symbol isn't an atom... it's symmetrical and more fitting. google radioactive symbol.

Atomic DNA

I think you need to use an & instead of a N. If I did not know who you were or what you did, when I see DNA it makes me think of the genetic DNA we are all made of.
I was in the process of trying to find a decent looking ampersand that would replace the N. Still on the hunt.

iprint

I understand where you are trying to go with the red logo. It reminds me of the Supercell logo (game/app developer).
You might want to try a different font though. The I next to the C especially looks out of place. If you are open to suggestions a couple of LHF fonts come to mind. Becker No. 45 or Roebuck are nice bold fonts that could look cool. If you are set on using biohazard symbol you might want to try a font with a more round feel to it tho.

Atomic DNA

I understand where you are trying to go with the red logo. It reminds me of the Supercell logo (game/app developer). You might want to try a different font though. The I next to the C especially looks out of place. If you are open to suggestions a couple of LHF fonts come to mind. Becker No. 45 or Roebuck are nice bold fonts that could look cool. If you are set on using biohazard symbol you might want to try a font with a more round feel to it tho.

thanks for the font recommendations, I'll look into them. As for the biohazard, I've had it as part of my logo for nine years. I'd hate to go changing it now.

Atomic DNA

WC (without coffee)

John, that's great. A cup of joe always makes it better!

This branding will be focused on wide range of age groups. Professional fishermen, NASCAR, AMA, bowling, paintballers and possibly the fans that follow these sports. It's not limited to these BTW.
Designing something for me personally has always been a hurdle that has been tough to jump. Designing logos for others really hasn't been that much of a challenge. I'm my own worst critic.

a77

I like the DNA logo you made... but change the biohazard symbol to radioactive symbol or even better electrons circling nucleus. Or keep it clean with no symbol.

I think that would match your target audience..my 2 cents

rjssigns

I like the first one. Neat and clean. While typography is not to be ignored I do not feel it will have any impact whatsoever within his target market. There is a time and place for correct kerning, leading etc... This ain't it.

Fantazia

I think you should keep it clear and bold. The hazardous sign inside the "O" makes no sense. Keep in mind that you will need to have this logo in small sizes so details will be problem to reproduce and on the other hand, you don't need them.