• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Destructible Vinyl...

Tim Aucoin

Anyone ever use Destructible Vinyl?? Ever tried weeding it? I am running a job... 4500 1" x 2" labels for a company to put on their computers. Tried weeding it... :frustrated::banghead::frustrated::banghead: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but after about 15 minutes of :frustrated::frustrated: I decided that the customer is not getting these weeded! Very interesting material to say the least! :rolleyes:

Ponto

...not meant to be weeded ...but it has its purpose and hence the name......(but I suppose if ya' wanted to play a prank on someone, this would be the stuff...)

JP

ProWraps

what is destructable vinyl? is this like the registration tags for vehicles that leave the impression behind like the word "void" when removed?

Locals Find!

destructible vinyl comes in a few different "flavors" 3m makes a product that produces the word void when its tampered with. Some other vinyls just shred to pieces when tampered with.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I've used it before -- I think the assumption is that one prints on it and it is applied as a sticker. Never even occurred to us to try and cut letters out of it.

wedosigns

Have you tried double cutting it? Can you throw it in the deep freeze to make it contrat, then weed?
Had a customer that I cut all his sand blast material for, and he swore by freezing it before weeding.
My 2 cents.:Canada 2:

gabagoo

I just need to know in what circumstance destructable vinyl is used. I have printed it for customers before but based on what they were using it for it makes no sense.

You cant laminate it as that would take away the destructablility.
If someone wanted to take the info off, all they have to do is run over it with solvent.

Tim Aucoin

The type I'm using is the kind that basically flakes off in tiny little pieces when removal is attempted. It would take an hour to remove the entire 1" x 2" label. And I do know that it's not intended for cut letters! :smile: This is a print and cut job for rectangular stickers with sequential bar codes and numbers to go on computers. I won't be weeding them!

I see your point gabagoo! These are going on computers. One on the outside, and two on the inside somewhere. I would think that a thief would not know to use solvent, or even to check the inside for ID labels, but I'm guessing it's just more of a deterrent than anything. Either way, I get just over a thousand dollars for the job!! :Big Laugh

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 97

bigben

Can I ask you where did you get this material? A customer ask about this last month, but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Ben.

Tim Aucoin

Can I ask you where did you get this material? A customer ask about this last month, but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Ben.

From GMS (Graphic Marking Systems). They carry a destructible white as well as a destructible reflective! :smile:

Clear Choice

Anyone ever use Destructible Vinyl?? Ever tried weeding it? I am running a job... 4500 1" x 2" labels for a company to put on their computers. Tried weeding it... :frustrated::banghead::frustrated::banghead: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but after about 15 minutes of :frustrated::frustrated: I decided that the customer is not getting these weeded! Very interesting material to say the least! :rolleyes:

This doesn't make sense to me...I must be missing a step here.
If you can't weed it...how does your customer get it off the liner
and onto the computers?

Tim Aucoin

This doesn't make sense to me...I must be missing a step here.
If you can't weed it...how does your customer get it off the liner
and onto the computers?

When I weed, it is attempting to pull off everything around and in-between the individual 2" x 1" decals. If there is any little resistance whatsoever, such as pulling up around the cut corner of the decal, the vinyl is quite "fragile", and tends to tear very easily. The more surface available to lift on, the better. The decals themselves (2 x 1) come up with no problem, as they are lifting straight up and not attempting to go around corners, etc... That's the best I can explain it! If need be, I can record a video and post! :rolleyes:

sfr table hockey

I just need to know in what circumstance destructable vinyl is used. I have printed it for customers before but based on what they were using it for it makes no sense.

You cant laminate it as that would take away the destructablility.
If someone wanted to take the info off, all they have to do is run over it with solvent.

I think this decal idea is more for a tamper proof deterrence. You would put it over an edge of a cover so that if the device was opened and someone tried to fix something then the company would know. I think if the image was removed with solvent cleaner this would void the warrantee as well just the same as removing that decal.

I have a golf simulator that has a chrome decal over the base of the hitting pad so that you can’t get into it without voiding your warrantee. It didn’t break up so much as the glue backing stayed on the surface.

Wondering if that is the need for a decal could you not print on standard reflective vinyl (as that comes off in chunks anyway) but as well just make up a cut line in the image, like void or even an image that would be hard to duplicate. This way when removed the average guy can’t reproduce that same decal.

And if I’m wrong, disregard what you just read.

Oh ya... Tim, I call bull on pulling your hair out for 15 min. Could not be done.

gabagoo

I think this decal idea is more for a tamper proof deterrence. You would put it over an edge of a cover so that if the device was opened and someone tried to fix something then the company would know. I think if the image was removed with solvent cleaner this would void the warrantee as well just the same as removing that decal.

I have a golf simulator that has a chrome decal over the base of the hitting pad so that you can’t get into it without voiding your warrantee. It didn’t break up so much as the glue backing stayed on the surface.

Wondering if that is the need for a decal could you not print on standard reflective vinyl (as that comes off in chunks anyway) but as well just make up a cut line in the image, like void or even an image that would be hard to duplicate. This way when removed the average guy can’t reproduce that same decal.

And if I’m wrong, disregard what you just read.

Oh ya... Tim, I call bull on pulling your hair out for 15 min. Could not be done.

Optishot?