Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DeWalt Cordless Heat Gun

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by Moze, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    This thing is pretty great.

It's obviously not for everything, but for other things, it's perfect.

Case in point, I had to remove quite a bit of 1" vinyl lettering and replace with new today. I tried getting it off with a fingernail first and it would remove somewhat easily, but every piece was leaving adhesive and breaking. Got the heat gun after it and made short work of it. No more residue and pretty much every letter would come off quickly and in one piece. I went through two of the smaller 2.0ah batteries which isn't bad at all considering how long it was on for.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

Tags:
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Jester1167

Jester1167 Very Active Member

I got one a few days ago and it's ok. It doesn't blow very hard but heats up quickly. Mixed reviews, but I haven't used it a lot.

3. pjfmeister

pjfmeister Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Missouri
    I have the milwaukee version and love it....

• Like Like x 1
  4. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I haven't tried cordless with regard to a heat gun. Always been the wired type of person (Milwaukee as well).

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Have a Wagner for the really hefty projects and about 4 old used hair dryers for normal use like your name plates, there. None are cordless.

Can't really remember ever having to change those kinda signs out in the field on the spot. Customers either bring them in or we pick them up, if there's a lot of them.

6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Looks like it could be useful. I was setting some heat shrink on tail light wiring under a box truck today using a torch.
    Heater gun would have been less scary and most likely safer but was too far from power.

Can't wait for Moze to show us his Dewalt Cordless Espresso Machine. He buys all the nice stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    You mean you don't already have one? Savage.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  8. stew1tx

stew1tx Centex Wraps and Signs

Mar 29, 2013
    georgetown, texas
    hahaha

9. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, Makita has one but they're about the only one, I believe. The day DeWalt comes out with out, I'll get it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I use to always carry sterno with me years ago to heat up gelatin capsules size for doing glass gold. Had a small camping percolator coffee maker that I kept in my car and put water and coffee in and heat it over the sterno flame and that was the best coffee, took about 10-15 minutes to heat up to make coffee.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Anything DeWalt is amazing

12. Rick Tennyson

Rick Tennyson Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Mid-South
    91% Isopropyl rubbing Alcohol from Walmart to remove adhesive after removal of vinyl. Cheap and fast.

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ooops..... wrong thread

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  14. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    There are much better products out there that remove adhesive than rubbing alcohol. I only use that stuff if I'm in a pinch and don't have remover on me... it requires more effort.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Rick Tennyson

Rick Tennyson Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Mid-South
    I have been in this business for 30 years, yes every job has its own requirements.
    The alcohol has been our best friend on this type of issue, big and small. Yes the heat gun is a big help, I was just trying to put in my 2. If you guys have a better idea, by all means get after it.

16. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Use to do a building with that Clarke system snap track system. Use to put a straight edge razor in a holder and dull both sides with 320 sandpaper and round the edges with a file. Lay the razor with holder down on panel at about 30 degrees and scrape off the letters. take a small rag with citrus glueoff and wipe off adhesive, spray with Sprayway glass cleaner and install new vinyl copy.
    Out of the hundreds I did over the years I maybe scratched one.
    The heat gun looks like a good idea but do not like picking letters.

17. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'm gonna give this one a go. I use the orange plastic blades, which are great until they rapidly dull, or a hotel key card and a utility knife to slice the card at an angle and make my own plastic blade. It works until it doesn't, and is a b*tch on your hands.

18. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    I used my ancient propane fired Coleman Focus 3 yesterday. Small strip and install job outdoors in 40 degree F weather and windy. Worked a treat.

19. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
  20. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I have an electric Wagner heat gun. Got a work out yesterday and I have a blister on the top of two of my fingers from the vinyl heating up and pulling it off. After that I put some gloves on LOL