• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Diagnosis desperately needed

rosebud

This has been a problem since first purchasing my Mutoh Falcon Outdoor (48") in August 2005. Nobody can diagnosis this.

What is happening is throughout most of my prints, not all but mostly ones with saturation of one color like green, purple, blue, I get a small block or large block of fade/dark of that one color that is usually 1-2 inches or 6-8 inches in width. It will do this fading in the same spot in certain files and nothing I do corrects it.

Sometimes the block is darker or lighter of that color. For example, In the one attached photo below it is a print of a palm tree with dark green on top. Every time I print this one particular file I will get the same results..the dark green then it goes into a lighter green then an even lighter green in a pattern just like that. It is like this each time I print it. It is not all images or files though. I can take numerous files and print them all at once and only one of those images will have fading in it. Everything else around it is fine. In the other example photo this is a print with a light green. Each time I print this file I get a 6 inch band of a dark green. Only in one spot on the print does this happen and each time. Then there are other prints I can do that have the opposite, a white fade on it in the same manner, not a dark color.

The third photo is of a red hat and on the top of the purple feather is an example of the color (dark purple) going into a fade (lighter purple).

I have done the following to help correct this:
New print heads, dampers, maintance station. I've tried different media, profiles, computer, files, all sorts of heater settings. I've moved the printer from room to room all different environments with no change. Another printer was nice enough to take one of my files and test it and they didn't get the same results so it is not a file issue.

Any ideas?
maybe a bad heater, media feed motor?? I think it's something mechanical with the printer. But need to find out what exactly. Thanks.

Attachments

• banding2.jpg
    banding2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 116
  • banding (1014 x 760).jpg
    banding (1014 x 760).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 83
  • banding3 (1026 x 768).jpg
    banding3 (1026 x 768).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 88

ddarlak

Go Bills!
turn off your color correction, chose colors in your cmyk value book that match what your printing. i'm assuming this is a vector file, if it is not then do this in photoshop then save it as a cmyk .jpg

if the machine prints without the fade problems, then it is your color correction/profiles f'n it up.

MachServTech

It looks like it could be a media advance issue. As the machine pulls material off a heavy (or damaged) roll it can cause some weird patterns in the print.

randya

It will do this fading in the same spot in certain files and nothing I do corrects it.

You might want to try a preripped file:
http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/68/

This will by pass your RIP and ftp files directly to the printer.

If it shows up with these files, then there is reason to look more closely at the printer.

This really does not seem to be printer related at all.

I dont know of anything in the printer that would know where that same spot in the image is.

The memory is much, much smaller than almost any image and only temporarily buffers relatively small pieces of a print.

Heaters, rollers, feed don't explain the same spot in certain files.

I would be looking at the RIP/PC that these files are processed.

Bradster941

I’ll take this in another direction.

Take the cover off your print head carriage.

Print that file that always messes up in the same spot. (the green one)

Watch 2 things;

1 the ink levels in the dampers
2 if the printer stops and starts a quick clean cycle in the middle of the print.

I’m thinking ink starvation. Just a thought.

omgsideburns

It looks like it could be a media advance issue. As the machine pulls material off a heavy (or damaged) roll it can cause some weird patterns in the print.

Check this out^^^

I get similar weird banding and blurring when I put new types of media on my Colorspan. Generally just cranking up the pinch roller pressure a little more, or decreasing the tension on the media roll will fix the problem.

letterman7

In What format are you outputting the prints, i.e. the image as a .jpg, vectored colors, .ai/.cdr/.eps format? Oh, and also hi from just out of town....

rosebud

The palm tree file was created in Adobe Illustrator then exported into EPS format. Colors are set at CMYK. I then import the file into Flexi sign pro 7.5 and rip/print into production manager for printing. I am printing on Orajet 3640 with production manager set up with Profiles for Orajet 3651 720x720 CMYK which was acquired from my dealer, signwarehouse.com. Those are the profiles they recommended. I believe color correction is set to on.

2 Heads replaced approx. a year ago. Dampers, Maintance station replaced six months ago. My nozzle checks are good. Pump is working as that was replaced about a year ago. Everything appears to be in working order on the printer.

My computer is decent for the set up. No firewalls, no internet hooked up. I did a virus check last week, it found some files but deleted them. The computer doesn't freeze up and there's plenty of memory and it rips real fast.

Most of the files I print are cliparts gathered from various sites. I don't do anything to them just download, import into Flexi then print. The three prints above that I attached are not clipart though. The two I made in Adobe Illustrator and the other one was made by a client.

I have tried importing my EPS files into Flexi then exporting them into JPG format. Then opening into flexi then printing. This has gotten rid of some of the problems but not 100% BUT the colors are not as nice when I do that. They always seem washed out.

I guess that's enough info, huh.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
if the majority of your prints look like the palm tree, ie vector based simple basic shapes and your designing in cmyk, there is absolutly no need for color correction. turn it off, your machine will print faster because you can lower the resolution and get great prints.

try it, it will work

letterman7

Hmm... I almost always use my prints in a CMYK .jpg. I design in Corel and then simply import them into Flexi. Never had an issue with colors being washed out. Try ddarlak's suggestion, then try saving your .ai file as a .jpg and import it straight in. Don't fool around with importing an .eps into Flexi then converting. I'm finding that Flexi, at least for me, doesn't play with the colors correctly. Illustrator is built for the printing industry, so any PMS colors should be right on, so long as they are not spot colors.

gabagoo

are you saying that it only happens in certain prints and others print fine? If it always happens in the same spot on a given file then I have to conclude that there is something in the file that the software does not like.

rosebud

Yes, it always happens with the same files and YES they are all vector files in EPS format. I've tried printing with color correction off and BAD things happen!

I tried one suggestion to open the file directly in production manager and bypass flexi and didn't work. Still did the banding on the top of the palm tree.

I am going to try different profiles today.

Hmm...this could be a problem...see I have always used a Mac for all design work in Adobe Illustrator. I even used a Mac to drive the printer with Flexi. But years ago one tech said to NOT use a mac with flexi as the software wasn't good with a Mac. So I switched over to all PC. I haven't used my Mac to design any new files for awhile. Anytime I do use it is to make any quick changes to an eps file. I really only use Flexi to print files not design. And if I convert any eps files into jpg I use flexi.

So my problem is this..I just got rid of my last Mac. So I don't have adobe illustrator anymore. I had planned on just doing everything in Flexi and drop use of Adobe Illustrator. But now I am thinking using Illustrator again but for PC only after some suggestions. Do I have to buy the $400 pc software for Illustrator when I already have the Mac version? Is there some other way around that?

rosebud

I tried new profiles today from oracal's website which are meant for my media and SUCCESS no more banding. Even though I tried different profiles before I guess I got lucky this time. Atleast for now it is working..I printed the palm tree and no banding at the top. Only after 4 years..geez.

Thanks for all your help! I greatly appreciate it.