Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DiBond to 4" x 4" Pressure Treated Post w/no Visible Hardware

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by rdm01, Jun 19, 2013.

1. rdm01

rdm01 Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland Metro Area
    I have a client asking to mount a 3' x 2' sign to a 4" x 4" post and put it in the ground. They have now asked that there be no visible hardware on the sign face, how would one do that? I was thinking maybe mount the sign with some countersunk screws and put the print over that, but it seems a little flimsy. Any thoughts?

Tags:
  2. what the

what the Owner/op

Feb 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    Invisible hardware

I use this on all my signs that are mounted with screws, they have caps that cover screw heads at ace hardware. They are black, white or gray and are usually kept in the hardware drawers. If you can't find them there, grainger should have something that would work

3. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    adhesive

use adhesive and 1.5" vertical angle to match up with your post.

The "caps" are ok, but it still says "fasteners" to me.

4. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Using VHB tape, attach two lengths of 2''x2'' aluminum angle vertically to the back of the panel so the post fits between them. Run a few lag bolts through the aluminum and into the post.

5. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    ... great minds...

6. what the

what the Owner/op

Feb 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    Good idea

I was thinking the sign was much larger- good idea instead of caps. How would you do this with a 4' x 8' 1/2" MDO?

7. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    To start off..... I would never use 1/2" MDO. Go 3/4" if you're spanning 2 4x4 posts

8. rdm01

rdm01 Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland Metro Area
    Thank you, so obvious when approaching with a fresh mind. When clouded with ideas from your client, the job becomes so much more difficult.:banghead:
    Ryan

9. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    4x8 MDO is too heavy for this approach - I would MAYBE use a million screws through the angle into the back of the MDO in addition to construction adhesive if the client INSISTED ON no visible hardware

10. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    For Dibond we take the post and run them through the table saw and cut a groove 1.5" deep about 2-3 blades widths wide. then slide the dibond down into the grooves and gravity is your fastener
    Depending on how wide the sign is put another post under the sign holding the post together (the horizontal post can be done with/without a groove)