• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Did 3M change their warranties?

Desert_Signs

Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

For instance, check this matrix.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...tforms.pdf?fn=Solvent MCS Warranty Matrix.pdf

This says that a solvent printed wrap, using IJ180cv3 and 8518 is warranted for 7 years. Not 7 for vertical and less for horizontal. Just a flat 7 years. There are notes on other laminates that show less warranty for horizontal, but not this combination.

I've been searching high and low for the old product bulletins that showed a different warranty. Am I just missing it? I have a customer questioning me, and I've always told them here in AZ, you get basically 50% of the standard warranty for vertical and 0 warranty for non-vertical. However, I can't find that anymore. I can find the areas they define as the desert southwest, but not the warranty percentage. I know it still exists...

Can someone help me find it? :banghead:

Desert_Signs

Right. I found that. But what is the warranty reduction for the desert southwest? Is what it says at the bottom of page 3 the reduction for the desert southwest? It's rather unclear!

Also, the notice says "Non-Vertical exposure" gets 50%. What does non-vertical mean?? Horizontal gets 0.

3m defines vertical as +/- 10 degrees from vertical, and horizontal as greater than 10 degrees from vertical. So, essentially horizontal is everything that isn't +/- 10 degrees from vertical. So... What is non-vertical exposure????

2B

Middle of page 2

Definitions
Exposure Types
U.S. Vertical Exposure
The face of the graphic is ±10

from vertical.
U.S. Horizontal Exposure
The face of the graphic is greater than 10

from vertical.
NOTE:
Any outdoor graphic primarily located in Arizona, New Mexico, and the desert areas of California, Nevada, Utah, and Texas is subject to

reduced warranties. Click here

for a detailed map or go to

3Mgraphics.com/warranties

then use the table on end of page 3 & 4 to see what it is reduced by 50%

Desert_Signs

Middle of page 2

Definitions
Exposure Types
U.S. Vertical Exposure
The face of the graphic is ±10

from vertical.
U.S. Horizontal Exposure
The face of the graphic is greater than 10

from vertical.
NOTE:
Any outdoor graphic primarily located in Arizona, New Mexico, and the desert areas of California, Nevada, Utah, and Texas is subject to

reduced warranties. Click here

for a detailed map or go to

3Mgraphics.com/warranties

then use the table on end of page 3 & 4 to see what it is reduced by 50%

Maybe I'm not thinking right. There are only 2 options. It's either within 10 degrees of Vertical or it's considered Horizontal. Follow so far? Now, go to the chart. Horizontal gets 0 warranty. Non-vertical gets 50% warranty. What exactly is non-vertical if not horizontal? What warranty does vertical get? The same 7 years?

Christian @ 2CT Media

They did change their warranties in favor of the 480 line.

Here in AZ it used to be 1.5years vertical and .5years for non vertical including horizontal.

Desert_Signs

They did change their warranties in favor of the 480 line.

Here in AZ it used to be 1.5years vertical and .5years for non vertical including horizontal.

Right. But that's not what the chart says anymore. It literally doesn't make sense. I'm not sure if it's an error or what.

They say horizontal gets 0 warranty, but then say non-vertical gets 50%, which IS horizontal....

Bosh

I haven't looked at those charts in years, but in practice I believe "non-vertical" refers to areas of the vehicle such as the taper of the 1/4 panel toward the hood, or on most vehicle sides above the bottom of the windows, as they taper (non-vertically) toward the roof, a front bumper that angles back toward the headlights, etc. Hood and roof = horizontal, flat areas of door = vertical, everything else = non-vertical.

2B

I haven't looked at those charts in years, but in practice I believe "non-vertical" refers to areas of the vehicle such as the taper of the 1/4 panel toward the hood, or on most vehicle sides above the bottom of the windows, as they taper (non-vertically) toward the roof, a front bumper that angles back toward the headlights, etc. Hood and roof = horizontal, flat areas of door = vertical, everything else = non-vertical.

well said, this is how we have always understood / interpreted them

Desert_Signs

That's how I interpreted it as well, but that's not what it says. What it says is non-vertical surfaces get 50% of the warranty, after they defined a non-vertical surface as horizontal.