• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Did i follow the right line?

TheSnowman

I play this game every time I do a ford van. I followed the longest line in the van like I always do...but man, that's just not right looking. Not sure the other line would look any better though.

Attachments

• image-924855668.png
    image-924855668.png
    715.1 KB · Views: 56

TheSnowman

Well, the customer actually just stopped in and said to leave it, so I guess I will. I told then I was willing to change it. The last time I posted this question, everyone said "always follow the longest line on the vehicle!" now I get different replies! Geez! I can't win on these ford vans!

GypsyGraphics

The last time I posted this question, everyone said "always follow the longest line on the vehicle!"

i wouldn't follow any line that didn't measure front to back level with the bottom of the windows.
that line is much more prominent visually, especially from a distance.

John Butto

straight

Top two lines (one that you followed and the window line) are not parallel to the bottom lines that you should have followed to make it look level, like the others have said after you tack it up the eyeball will tell you what line to follow.

GoodPeopleFlags

Hmmm... which line did you measure by? The lines all look parallel with each other but the lettering doesn't look straight with any of them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I never heard that rule before..... you have to step back and take a visual and access the situation.

level truck lines.jpg

The other three lines I have indicated are basically level, but you still need to look and make sure.

TheSnowman

Yea, I looked and looked, but like I said, got nailed to the floor last time because I didn't follow the longest line, so I figured that was the solve all. I put it on with the other line on the other side, and as shown in that diagram above, it's a lot better looking. I'm hoping the customer will see the BETTER difference now, because I ripped the other one off and I'm fixing it.

andy

Well, the customer actually just stopped in and said to leave it, so I guess I will. I told then I was willing to change it. The last time I posted this question, everyone said "always follow the longest line on the vehicle!" now I get different replies! Geez! I can't win on these ford vans!

I always measure UP from the absolute bottom of the bodywork... with modern bodywork sloping and swooping all over the show it's the one reliable way to get stuff straight.

drive

....or let some air out of the rear tires. Vans always seem to have lines that throw you off.
The bottom lines following the wheel wells are usually best for doors. But alot of fleet vans we've done have the majority if not all of the graphics in the upper 'window areas'.
In those case the bottom of the window or panel works best (mostly) but NEVER measure from the top (rain channel) of the van.
Overall, any of these suggestions are just that. I eyeball just about everything on vehicles especially. People look with their eyes, not rulers.

TheSnowman

Maybe I shouldn't have hired this new guy to help me, and I could have avoided this whole scenario!

Attachments

• crazyeyes.jpg
    crazyeyes.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 81