• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Did Signs 365 change their shipping to...?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Did they change to Priority Overnight from Standard? Last few weeks I've noticed them coming before 10:30am, whereas before they would barely make it here before 5pm.

unclebun

Yes, I just ordered from them 3 times this week, and I noticed it said Priority Overnight, and the express driver delivered them. Which just bugs me all the more because they are getting such a low rate compared to when I ship things. A tube 9"x96" for $10 Priority Overnight...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yes, I just ordered from them 3 times this week, and I noticed it said Priority Overnight, and the express driver delivered them. Which just bugs me all the more because they are getting such a low rate compared to when I ship things. A tube 9"x96" for $10 Priority Overnight...

Yea and you know what's funny? Use those same tubes to ship out with using FedEx and they will charge you a $14 "Handling Fee" or some shit ON TOP OF regular charge because they are circular and not box shaped. Fucking assholes

bannertime

I guess so. We used to expect the packages around 2-3. Last one got here at 10. I've heard from someone at FedEx that their price is cheaper than Employee rate. Whatever that means.

TheSnowman

I also noticed they ditched the two day delivery. If I wasn't in a hurry I'd save a couple bucks and let it come two days later, but I haven't been able to select that as an option either.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I also noticed they ditched the two day delivery. If I wasn't in a hurry I'd save a couple bucks and let it come two days later, but I haven't been able to select that as an option either.

I don't think I've ever chosen the 2-day option... Hell, I almost always used the same day option until they made it double the cost of whatever it was you were ordering.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I ordered something for the first time yesterday. My total was $29.94, and there was a rush fee of $29.94 and shipping was $10.00. I assume there's no way to avoid the rush fee? I needed it and didn't have time to mess around. I was happy with the quality so I plan to order again.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I ordered something for the first time yesterday. My total was $29.94, and there was a rush fee of $29.94 and shipping was $10.00. I assume there's no way to avoid the rush fee? I needed it and didn't have time to mess around. I was happy with the quality so I plan to order again.

Yea there is a way to avoid it.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
What's the big hurry? If a client wants something overnight, and you can accommodate it, then just charge accordingly, and make a few extra $$.

It's all how you handle it. I treat emergency jobs as a way to develop relationships with my clients. I am 100% transparent as to where I get things from and how much it costs. I show them the bills. If the client can't see that I am doing everything possible to help them get out of their jam, and that my pricing is fair, then I don't need them as a client.

If the reason for the rush is because of something I did, then I just deal with it and try not to mess up next time.

PS: There are vendors out there that do better work for cheaper prices, but they do not offer the same short timelines. My main print vendor is two days production, then 2 days standard shipping (no guarantee on shipping, but it usually shows up on time). If I need "guaranteed" shipping, it is available, but it costs considerably more, and the only guarantee is that I won't have to pay for shipping if it is not delivered on time. I don't see that as much of an advantage, other than to impress someone with how hard you tried. Anybody who has been in business for a while knows that nothing is absolute.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Heeeeelllll noo. Where I buy from and what I pay is none of my client's business.
You are right! It is none of their business.

I just don't care. It doesn't make any difference to me. Most of my clients don't care either. The ones that are interested probably just want to order the stuff themselves and undercut me. They can do that already spending a few minutes on the internet. To tell the truth, I would just a soon they did order it themself - save me the hassle - and I can spend more time drawing (which is how I make the most money anyhow).

Example: A 4x8 banner. I charge around $215.00. They say they can get it on the internet for $80.00. Okay, that will come to around $102.00 with tax and shipping. I ask them if they want me to prepare the art. $85.00. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with file types and specifications. Want me to order it for you? $45.00. The I ask them if they want me to get a permit and install it. Sure! I make more money doing it that way!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
They don’t need to know wholesale prices. I blew a gasket when seeing them posted on the back of SignCraft.
What if you have to do the job yourself. Pricing has to be based on that risk.
I don't understand. I like it when the wholesalers post their prices, makes it easier for me. The whole "cat and mouse" game regarding prices is stupid. Anybody who wants to know the price of anything can easily figure it out by asking.

If you have to do the job yourself, just do the job yourself and charge whatever it costs plus whatever your markup is. Easy. If that price is 3x the price listed by a wholesaler on the back of SignCraft, so what? If you have to do it yourself, that means you do not have the option of ordering it from a wholesaler.

I'm curious about the reason you have to do it yourself. Does it cost you less to produce it than it would cost to buy it wholesale (you should be in the wholesale business then, you would mop them up)? Gunpoint? Trying to impress someone? Something illegal (copyright infringement)?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I wouldn't walk into a restaurant and want to know all their costs for food, or what they pay the help, let alone what their overhead is. I happen to know there are quite a few price breaks on automobile replacement parts, based upon the mechanics consumption and buying power, let alone his rates or overhead. Why does anyone need to be transparent in doing business, per their costs and overhead, unless they wanna upset the apple cart ??

Something to remember, unless you're working outta your bedroom or basement is....... there are hidden costs. If they need to be explained to the people on this site, then suffice it to say, they shouldn't be here.

If one bases every sale on the one right in front of them, it seems they are very narrow minded and short-sighted.

lyndawayne

Haha. Living, Mr Texas.
Anyway, sometimes I may “forget” to order & have to do it myself. The capability is here but buying wholesale is sometimes more cost effective.
Trying to impress someone? Hardly. Not my game. Just trying to make a decent living in this business which is more difficult than 25 yrs ago.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Haha. Living, Mr Texas.
Anyway, sometimes I may “forget” to order & have to do it myself. The capability is here but buying wholesale is sometimes more cost effective.
Trying to impress someone? Hardly. Not my game. Just trying to make a decent living in this business which is more difficult than 25 yrs ago.

Humm, this thread is going way over my head... Will open up Netflix

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The new flatbeds can print a 4x8 in 30 seconds. Why in the world would I want to compete with that? I want to work with that resource, and leverage the advantages I have, mainly access to local customers, location for installations, and my unique creative abilities.

There seems to be two camps here on Signs 101: those that make money by producing signs and graphics, and those that make money through design and project management. A third revenue stream, making money by installation, is available in conjunction with the other two, and by itself may be the largest revenue generator (along with being expensive and risky).

These printers with millions of dollars of equipment have the facilities to warehouse huge inventories, shipping departments and loading docks, forklifts and material handling capability, and national sales operations that can support producing thousands of signs a day. They rely on small local shops to both buy their products and install them.

Back in the day, the highest level of technology was a squirrel hair quill. It made sense to make your own sign locally. Automation and modern logistics has changed all that. Modern advancements in technology will continue to effect the industry. Before plunking down $25,000 or more on a new piece of equipment, my advice is to seriously consider what it is you are selling, and whether you might be better outsourcing these increasingly commodified products. If you are offering installation, you'll probably be okay. If you have design talent, all you need is a laptop and you can work from a spare bedroom. If you are in the production game, well, you better watch out!