• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Die cut stickers! What media is best for an HP Latex 360 or Canon iPF 8400s

I see all these companies coming out with die-cut stickers and decals, like sticker app, Vinyl Bandits, Rockin' Stickers, etc.

What material are they using? Maybe something that doesn't have curl. The media I have tends to curl on the edges after a while.

I have an HP Latex 360 and a Canon iPF8400s.

For cutting, I have a Graphtec FC8600
Also, wouldn't I wear out my blade really quick using a Graphtec?

Here are some examples from companies...
upload_2019-4-7_16-26-8.png

upload_2019-4-7_16-23-37.png

upload_2019-4-7_16-24-13.png

upload_2019-4-7_16-25-9.png

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
iPF8400S is aqueous... stay away from using that machine. The inks just do not last outdoors.
The HP 360 is the best option.
The Graphtec should be fine. When you do a perforated cut, you need to move the blade into the secondary position, which is over a small channel so it doesn't ruin the cutting strip. Blade will wear slightly quicker than normal as it's punching through the vinyl and backer, but replacements are cheap (eBay etc.).

iPF8400S is aqueous... stay away from using that machine. The inks just do not last outdoors.
The HP 360 is the best option.
The Graphtec should be fine. When you do a perforated cut, you need to move the blade into the secondary position, which is over a small channel so it doesn't ruin the cutting strip. Blade will wear slightly quicker than normal as it's punching through the vinyl and backer, but replacements are cheap (eBay etc.).
What about the brand of media? What vinyl do you recommend to print on?

CanuckSigns

To answer your question, we have been using GF 6 mil semi-ridgid vinyl for most decals, it's nice and thick so no need to laminate, and no edge curl

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Like what Canuck said, the GF 6 Mil is really good, mine is the same but I carry longer rolls.

Jb1983

Edge curl is more of a solvent problem on print to edge unlaminated stickers. Latex doesn’t seem to have that issue and it also doesn’t saturate the vinyl at all in my experience so it stays the same as unprinted vinyl which makes it much easier to handle/install.

The thicker vinyls are always easier to handle , but I have no issues using:

Arlon 510.

Orajet 3164

I don’t bother with perf cutting, I either hand them to customers on a sheet or cut them in to squares by hand

bannertime

We have had no issues with Arlon 510MT... We need to find a good nonshrinking 6mil for easier client apply.

I'm a fan of Arlon materials and was looking for something to replace my cheap SAV. I just bought a roll of this to try out. I can not get it to stay flat in the machine. Tried the Arlon profile, generic profiles, using my other 3 mil vinyl profile. Nothing will keep it from bunching up in the heater. Never had this much trouble. I feel like the liner is too light. Now, I do like the material itself. I've used about 30 feet and have been happy with what has survived the heater. Wish I could get it to run without having to babysit it.

Bly

Latex printer for stickers for sure.
You don't need to laminate them in a lot of cases.
Scratch resistance is great and there is no edge curl.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm a fan of Arlon materials and was looking for something to replace my cheap SAV. I just bought a roll of this to try out. I can not get it to stay flat in the machine. Tried the Arlon profile, generic profiles, using my other 3 mil vinyl profile. Nothing will keep it from bunching up in the heater. Never had this much trouble. I feel like the liner is too light. Now, I do like the material itself. I've used about 30 feet and have been happy with what has survived the heater. Wish I could get it to run without having to babysit it.
Are you using the removable or permanent version? We've had that issue with the 510 MTR but not the MT. What printer are you using?

bannertime

Are you using the removable or permanent version? We've had that issue with the 510 MTR but not the MT. What printer are you using?

This is on the HP Latex 330. We're using the gloss so 510 GT permanent. I bumped up the passes and that helped a little. I guess I need to toy with the delay.

Jb1983

This is on the HP Latex 330. We're using the gloss so 510 GT permanent. I bumped up the passes and that helped a little. I guess I need to toy with the delay.

Strange, I run the 510 Gloss permanent thru my 315 on the max heat setting (241) with only 200 ms delay and never have any issues.(I actually use the 3m ij180mc-10 profile) Its by far the best Calendered vinyl to run thru my machine at least. I have nothing but issues with Briteline vinyls they just tunnel in the middle and cause mild head touches while printing even on lower heat settings.

If your bunching up in the heater area are you using the take up reel?? that will certainly help keep the vinyl tension and prevent that as well.

bannertime

Strange, I run the 510 Gloss permanent thru my 315 on the max heat setting (241) with only 200 ms delay and never have any issues.(I actually use the 3m ij180mc-10 profile) Its by far the best Calendered vinyl to run thru my machine at least. I have nothing but issues with Briteline vinyls they just tunnel in the middle and cause mild head touches while printing even on lower heat settings.

If your bunching up in the heater area are you using the take up reel?? that will certainly help keep the vinyl tension and prevent that as well.

Not using the take up reel on this one. I bought this material to test out for short run stickers and such. Will rarely run enough to hit the t/u reel. I haven't checked the delay. It was moving fast and the material didn't settle before it was advanced and after a few inches it was hitting the top of the heater. On the thinner Briteline stuff like the IM3202 I had similar issues. On the 3203x, Trans, and Perf I don't really have issues.

Jb1983

Not using the take up reel on this one. I bought this material to test out for short run stickers and such. Will rarely run enough to hit the t/u reel. I haven't checked the delay. It was moving fast and the material didn't settle before it was advanced and after a few inches it was hitting the top of the heater. On the thinner Briteline stuff like the IM3202 I had similar issues. On the 3203x, Trans, and Perf I don't really have issues.

What you can try is running a lower heat setting and a higher inter pass delay, that way the ink has more time under the heaters but less heat to make it tunnel. This works well on prints that don't have a lot of heavy ink useage, but if its a black background it usually wont dry the ink enough.

bannertime

What you can try is running a lower heat setting and a higher inter pass delay, that way the ink has more time under the heaters but less heat to make it tunnel. This works well on prints that don't have a lot of heavy ink useage, but if its a black background it usually wont dry the ink enough.

I have dropped it to 230 which is what I run other Arlon materials on. I'll up the delay and see what happens. Upping the pass did help so I imagine it'll work.