Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Die-cutting low volume magnets

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Marshallmax, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Marshallmax

Marshallmax Premium Subscriber

Oct 11, 2019
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Looking for a way to cut round 0.30” magnets. Only need to do low volumes so I’m not looking to invest too much into equipment. But mainly just looking for anyone who has had success doing it.

Tags:
  2. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    If your shapes are consistently the same size and not too large you could go this route - depending on what 'low volume' means to you:
    Steel rule clicker press or a (don't laugh) https://accucut.com/pages/die-cutting-machines
    I got one of these used off eBay and it cuts mag clean and quick.
    There are companies that cater to the craft crowd that will make the dies for a reasonable price.
    Print your mags in sheets - cut square - there are alignment pins to register the cuts and crank away.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Marshallmax

Oct 11, 2019
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Thank you!

4. FireSprint

FireSprint Merchant Member

If you're looking for a wholesaler to help with larger (or smaller) runs, we do alot of magnet. We use a very high quality 020 as our standard stock. Small magnets conform much better this way. https://www.firesprint.com/magnetic-42/products/

• Like Like x 2
  5. Marshallmax

Oct 11, 2019
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Do you cut 0.30”? I have a client who wants 15” round magnets

6. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    How many? If they are perfect circles you could use a compass style cutter and do them by hand. All you have to do is cut through the vinyl top.

7. Marshallmax

Oct 11, 2019
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Just 5!

8. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Ya just cut them with a compass. You can put a wad of tape in the center to stop the pick from going into the magnet.

This is a quick vid to show what I am talking about. There are other makes etc. for you to research or you can probably make one... Go to about 4:20 to skip the blabber.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    If you guys have a vinyl plotter... Load it in upside down so the magnets sticking up, put it in 2-3 pass and cut away. Then just print your design on vinyl and apply it.

I wouldn't do that to hundreds... But if you just need 5 circles it's easy enough.

10. FireSprint

FireSprint Merchant Member

We can custom quote high volume 030. We'll probably add it as a standard product in the coming months though. We run high quality (USA Made) 020 because it's more conformable and works well for most applications. It's not cheaper, just easier to use and handle with custom contour cutting, etc - which we offer on magnet (And anything else).

11. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    We print on our Epsons and cut on our Mimaki CG plotters without issue, just be sure the roll isn't too heavy for the plotter to pull it.

12. Marshallmax

Oct 11, 2019
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Do you use 0.30”?

13. 2CT Media

2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Why are you fixated on .030 Magnet?

We use a .020HE magnet that outperforms all the .030 Magnets significantly and it's roughly the same price. We direct print (latex or vanguard)a cut on our flatbed.

14. ikarasu

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Probably because all the sales reps market .030 as vehicle grade and anything less as not.

I don't agree with it...but some people refuse to go lower because of it.

We mainly use .030 because most of our suppliers only stock it locally... .020 is a few days transfer from another branch. And it's roughly the same price...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 12:22 AM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Marshallmax

Oct 11, 2019
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Yeah I absolutely don’t agree with it either. But this particular client specifically wants 0.30”. Just trying to get them what they ask for even though 0.20” would be just as good.

16. ikarasu

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Nothing wrong with .030, we go through a few hundred ft per month. We usually sub out the diecutting. We have successfully cut it on our CNC with a dragknife, and routed it out surprisingly when it was a print and cut.

If it's just a simple shape we throw it into our graphtec.... Cut enough to score most of the material, then you just remove it and fold it and it'll pop right out.

17. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I've almost always trust what you say, but I've not once found an .020(.015 mag layer for latex) magnet that had similar or better strength than .030. High energy or not. I've looked through MuscleMag, Maghold, Digital Magnetics, and Arnold Magnetics. All the .020he mags were 60-65 lbs/ft2 while the .030 was around 75-85 lbs/ft2.

18. 2CT Media

2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    NewLife magnetics is what we use.

You are looking at purely the hold strength, the .020 magnet is also almost half the weight and much more pliable to hold to uneven vehicle surfaces.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yes.

20. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I have not heard of NewLife before. They do list a 20mil HE mag for like 90lbs/ft2 which seems pretty high and unlike anything else I've ever seen. But I'm pretty impressed after talking to them. They mentioned a new material coming soon that'll be 15mil will very similar properties. Only problem is getting Lairds to deliver to me cause they act like I'm right out of their delivery area.

If you're willing to share, are you using their PVC or the PET coated for latex?