• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Die-cutting low volume magnets

Marshallmax

Looking for a way to cut round 0.30” magnets. Only need to do low volumes so I’m not looking to invest too much into equipment. But mainly just looking for anyone who has had success doing it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If your shapes are consistently the same size and not too large you could go this route - depending on what 'low volume' means to you:
Steel rule clicker press or a (don't laugh) https://accucut.com/pages/die-cutting-machines
I got one of these used off eBay and it cuts mag clean and quick.
There are companies that cater to the craft crowd that will make the dies for a reasonable price.
Print your mags in sheets - cut square - there are alignment pins to register the cuts and crank away.

Marshallmax

If your shapes are consistently the same size and not too large you could go this route - depending on what 'low volume' means to you:
Steel rule clicker press or a (don't laugh) https://accucut.com/pages/die-cutting-machines
I got one of these used off eBay and it cuts mag clean and quick.
There are companies that cater to the craft crowd that will make the dies for a reasonable price.
Print your mags in sheets - cut square - there are alignment pins to register the cuts and crank away.
Thank you!

player

Ya just cut them with a compass. You can put a wad of tape in the center to stop the pick from going into the magnet.

This is a quick vid to show what I am talking about. There are other makes etc. for you to research or you can probably make one... Go to about 4:20 to skip the blabber.

ikarasu

If you guys have a vinyl plotter... Load it in upside down so the magnets sticking up, put it in 2-3 pass and cut away. Then just print your design on vinyl and apply it.

I wouldn't do that to hundreds... But if you just need 5 circles it's easy enough.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Do you cut 0.30”? I have a client who wants 15” round magnets

We can custom quote high volume 030. We'll probably add it as a standard product in the coming months though. We run high quality (USA Made) 020 because it's more conformable and works well for most applications. It's not cheaper, just easier to use and handle with custom contour cutting, etc - which we offer on magnet (And anything else).

jfiscus

Rap Master
We print on our Epsons and cut on our Mimaki CG plotters without issue, just be sure the roll isn't too heavy for the plotter to pull it.

ikarasu

Why are you fixated on .030 Magnet?

We use a .020HE magnet that outperforms all the .030 Magnets significantly and it's roughly the same price. We direct print (latex or vanguard)a cut on our flatbed.
Probably because all the sales reps market .030 as vehicle grade and anything less as not.

I don't agree with it...but some people refuse to go lower because of it.

We mainly use .030 because most of our suppliers only stock it locally... .020 is a few days transfer from another branch. And it's roughly the same price...

Last edited:

Marshallmax

Probably because all the sales reps market .030 as vehicle grade and anything less as not.

I don't agree with it...but some people refuse to go lower because of it.

We mainoy use .030 because most of our suppliers only stock it locally... .020 is a few days transfer from another branch. And it's roughly the same price...
Yeah I absolutely don’t agree with it either. But this particular client specifically wants 0.30”. Just trying to get them what they ask for even though 0.20” would be just as good.

ikarasu

Yeah I absolutely don’t agree with it either. But this particular client specifically wants 0.30”. Just trying to get them what they ask for even though 0.20” would be just as good.

Nothing wrong with .030, we go through a few hundred ft per month. We usually sub out the diecutting. We have successfully cut it on our CNC with a dragknife, and routed it out surprisingly when it was a print and cut.

If it's just a simple shape we throw it into our graphtec.... Cut enough to score most of the material, then you just remove it and fold it and it'll pop right out.

bannertime

We use a .020HE magnet that outperforms all the .030 Magnets significantly and it's roughly the same price. We direct print (latex or vanguard)a cut on our flatbed.

I've almost always trust what you say, but I've not once found an .020(.015 mag layer for latex) magnet that had similar or better strength than .030. High energy or not. I've looked through MuscleMag, Maghold, Digital Magnetics, and Arnold Magnetics. All the .020he mags were 60-65 lbs/ft2 while the .030 was around 75-85 lbs/ft2.

bannertime

NewLife magnetics is what we use.

You are looking at purely the hold strength, the .020 magnet is also almost half the weight and much more pliable to hold to uneven vehicle surfaces.

I have not heard of NewLife before. They do list a 20mil HE mag for like 90lbs/ft2 which seems pretty high and unlike anything else I've ever seen. But I'm pretty impressed after talking to them. They mentioned a new material coming soon that'll be 15mil will very similar properties. Only problem is getting Lairds to deliver to me cause they act like I'm right out of their delivery area.

If you're willing to share, are you using their PVC or the PET coated for latex?