• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Die-cutting the liner/backing ?

AylmerSigns

Hi Guys,

I have absolutely no idea where to post this question, but I assume this section would most likely be my closest chance of success, due to these being printed decals.

I have a huge contract upcoming, for one oh my best customer. They are requesting some roughly 12" x 24" decals, which will be printed with my VP540, on a econo grade vinyl. I have absolutely no problem with the printing and the cutline, but I have no idea how to cut through the liner, to have a nice contour following the cutline (die-cut liner?)

I figured I could print a 0.25" line further out from my "cut contour", and then follow it by hand with a knife; but we are now talking in quantities that I can not possibly do by hand. My question for you guys, is what type of machine / process gives us the opportunity to hand-out oval-shapped liners, that follow our decals? How can I hand my customer a decal that isn't in an old-school square, with peeled vinyl - without having to cut the contour by hand ? Is there a certain machine that does this? I'm lost in this decal field!

Please advise, and thanks ahead, for all the great help, as usual.

JERHEMI

What type of plotter do you have? Hopefully you have a function to do a "half cut" as your contour cut. It will contour cut the decal, but in particular increments it will lift the blade slightly not completely cutting all the way through. It will hold the decal in place while everything cuts. Once its finished cutting you can easily pop each decal out from the entire sheet.