• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Difference between these models

Precision Eng

Thinking about getting started in the digital printing and looking at the Roland line. Someone tell me the difference between the SP-300 and SP-300V? Any comments (good and bad) on these machines is appreciated..

Thanks
Mike

jgolo

I think the "V" is the one that comes with Versaworks and the non "V" will not use versaworks, which is ok, just use ColorRip or SoftRip better IMO

John

Inkfish Graphics

John is correct. "V" models use VersaWorks for the RIP software, which is a novice/intermediate ripping software. Wasatch ColorRip is by far the best RIP on the market and I think "Non-V" models come with the "Roland Only" edition of Wasatch ColorRip. Either way, you are in good hands. I have an SP540V and havent had one complaint.

mark in tx

Ask yourself what thing do you have to produce the most of?
If it is small color stickers in limited runs, then yes, that would be a good printer. Sure it can do other things with no problem, but it is a slow printer.
Is print and cut on 1 machine the absolute solution to your production problems?

Do you have a ready made market for what you can produce with that printer, or will you be having to market and sell your new capability?

Contrary to what the salespeople and the advertising copy wants you to believe, "Digital Printing" is not a magical term that will cause people to beat down your door with the stacks of money they want to spend on "Digital Printing".

9 out of 10 people could care less what "Digital Printing" is or means. What they want to know is can you hit that fire engine red or olympic blue or Pantone 137. They want to know how much an 18x24 coro will cost them, when can they pick it up and can you give them a discount.
They don't care what CMYK is and why you can't get the same colors they saw on the internet. They want their sign, they want their poster, they want their cake with ice cream on top because they are paying for it. And they waited until the last minute to order it.

You also have to consider the total costs of providing printing with these machines.
You get the machine and a set of inks for X amount.
Done.
Is your computer up to snuff to handle the the RIP?
Is that same computer also your design computer? Can it run your RIP and Photoshop at the same time?
Maybe a little more money there.
You're going to need the media to print on.
You're going to run out of ink.
You're going to need to clean the machine at least weekly, possibly daily.
Consumables cost a lot of money.
Are you going to get training on your machine and software?
More money.
Are you not going to get training, just learn on your own?
A lot more money in wasted media and ink until you figure out what you are doing.
Are you going to just download ICC profiles from manufacturer websites and tweak them to get working right on your exact settings?
More wasted ink and media that costs money.
Are you going to get custom ICC profiles professionally done?
Costs money, but saves on wasted media and inks.
Is the planned location for the printer a relatively clean area?
Dust particles ruin prints and a HEPA filter machine costs money.
How much is that Laminator going to cost?
Sure, you can limp along without it, not being able to offer a full line of products for outdoor applications, you could even use spray coatings as long as the substrate will never flex, but again you limit the products you can offer.
Are you going to print banners?
Hemming and grommeting cost money, either by subbing that out or buying the machines yourself.

That's not a full list of all the costs that can add up after purchasing a printer. I'm sure some of our more cynical members could really make some lists. Most of it through experiences they have had. And I'm sure some of our members have had nothing but fantastic experiences and loved their machine since the day it was delivered.

I'm not trying to discourage you, hopefully I opened your eyes a little bit.

Good luck.:Welcome:

2NinerNiner2

VinylSolution said:
Wow Mark,
Nice post, major reasons why I have'nt even thought about investing in a digital printer.

Henry

... or perhaps why you should invest :) Mark makes excellent points, all of which I have encountered since purchasing my SP-300. But I knew that is what I wanted to do and am certainly glad that I did :) As Tom Cochrane says in his song, "No Regrets" :)

skyhigh

:thread

"Ain't got no regrets
After all the shit you know we've been through it
There ain't a shovel big enough in the world
That can move it"

More interesting lyrics from that song.....lol

2NinerNiner2

skyhigh said:
:thread

"Ain't got no regrets
After all the shit you know we've been through it
There ain't a shovel big enough in the world
That can move it"

More interesting lyrics from that song.....lol

... my favourite verse! :) :) :Canada 2:

BaxSign

I have the sp 300V and like it ok. Its my first printer and just got it 2 weeks ago. Been doing vinyl for a long time. My main money maker will always be vinyl, but the printer is a good addition.