• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Difficulty Adhering after Rapid Remover

Sdegen2008

So, I have been doing several vinyl removals lately and using Rapid Remover, which works great. I can get the vinyl off the glass and we're good to go there.

Here is where I am running into an issue: Once I have completed the removal, I have had to apply a new vinyl on the glass. I have dried off the glass, cleaned with glass cleaner, and tried to use the hinge method with masking tape but the tape won't stick.

I have even gone back over a week later to see if tape will stick to the glass but no luck. Is there anything I can use after using rapid remover that will allow adhesion to occur?

I can always just go with the wet method and override this issue (as I have been doing lately) but I figured I'd ask as I know I will have a bunch of these coming up soon.

Thank you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wash it 2 or 3 times with strong soap and water. Then, wash with 91% alcohol several times. Hand dry it. Don't let it air dry.

Basically, your way, the glass is grossly contaminated.​

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I use Orange Peel and that stuff works well removing adhesive and comes off clean. After I'm done with the Orange Peel I windex it and finish with isopropyl alcohol. The key is to dry it completely, until you feel the rag dragging on the surface.

Sdegen2008

Wash it 2 or 3 times with strong soap and water. Then, wash with 91% alcohol several times. Hand dry it. Don't let it air dry.

Basically, your way, the glass is grossly contaminated.​

Figured as much. Will give this a try next time. Thank you!

Sdegen2008

Glass rapid remover don't work well together. The Rapid remover leaves a film coating you need to cut through. We forgo rapid remover and just use simple green or 409 and a razor on glass.

Really? 409 works well as a remover? Huh...will look into that as well. Thank you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I don't use any chemicals to remove vinyl from glass, anywhere. A good razor blade will do it all. Same goes for any backlit surface. To clean any glue residue, I use the 91% isopropyl several times as I mentioned. With your method, you've got to get the remover off and that'll take some doimg.

Sdegen2008

Personally, I don't use any chemicals to remove vinyl from glass, anywhere. A good razor blade will do it all. Same goes for any backlit surface. To clean any glue residue, I use the 91% isopropyl several times as I mentioned. With your method, you've got to get the remover off and that'll take some doimg.

I don't know, Gino, I guess I have to put more hours in the gym because in December, I had to scrape a 24"x36" vinyl off a cold ass glass window and it took 2 hours with just the alcohol and a scraper..I need to be more efficient than that haha...

ikarasu

For windows usually we just use a heatgun... works the best.

You can use rapid prep after using rapid remover. But then you need to use something to remove the rapid prep... They of course recommend rapid tac, but we just use alcohol. Whenever we use rapid remover, it goes Remover > Prep > 99% Alcohol (Diluted to 70/30) and it's like the surface is new.

decalman

I use ammonia to cut through WAX.
You also could try Black Magic White Bleache tire cleaner. Takes oxidation off fiberglass, there's a good chance that could normalize that rapid remover remover glass.

I stopped using rapid remover because of the dangerous smell it gives off.
I now vinyl off. No smell whatsoever and work just about as good

visual800

we never use RR to get vinyl off glass, we use nothing but alcohol. As far as your situation wipe the glass with alcohol several times and then try to install lettering. Never use the wet method

gabagoo

I use ammonia to cut through WAX.
You also could try Black Magic White Bleache tire cleaner. Takes oxidation off fiberglass, there's a good chance that could normalize that rapid remover remover glass.

I stopped using rapid remover because of the dangerous smell it gives off.
I now vinyl off. No smell whatsoever and work just about as good
That Blech white product is also great for cleaning your golf grips and makes the tacky again... I know it is off subject but for those that need to know

We never use adhesive remover on glass. We remove the vinyl and then soak the hell out of the adhesive with windex and scrape it off using a flat razor blade. The windex gives the blade plenty of slide. Then we go over the window a couple of times with 91% alcohol.

MikePro

rapid remover is awesome, but its GREASY! a simple spray&wipe isn't enough to prep the surface, I always take it as a two-step process, with fresh rags, one "rough clean" to get all the debris and rapid remover off the surface, and then a fresh rag & isopropyl to polish the surface clean of anything that still remains.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
Having to take vinyl off of windows from installs that are 8-10 years old, we either just use a torch/heat gun and RR to get the glue off. Once all the glue is off, we clean it once with soap and water as that the best way to neutralize the RR. Next, we use acetone, sprayed in small doses as to not get on the window rubber or paint. It seems to get most ghosting off the window. Then a final clean up with alcohol.

d fleming

Just finished 33 window mural removal at beach that was 12 years old. Went through a stack of 4" scraper blades. Better believe we used rapid remover. The time it saves over other methods more than justifies the time to properly clean after for new graphic application on this size job. After glue residue is removed we clean with rags and rapid tac, then alcohol with more clean rags until tape test works on window panes. The guys are out today with hot pressure wash rig cleaning sidewalks in prep for TPC.

Attachments

• broudy removal.jpg
    broudy removal.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 207

bannertime

I don't know, Gino, I guess I have to put more hours in the gym because in December, I had to scrape a 24"x36" vinyl off a cold *** glass window and it took 2 hours with just the alcohol and a scraper..I need to be more efficient than that haha...

I've seen our window cleaner use a 6in blade and clean a 4x8 window in about 10 minutes. It's a skill, and once you master it, it's a huge time saver.

Sdegen2008

I've seen our window cleaner use a 6in blade and clean a 4x8 window in about 10 minutes. It's a skill, and once you master it, it's a huge time saver.

I think this vinyl sticker had been on there for 15+ years, it was just flaking off but I agree, it is a skill and one that i'd like to get better at!