• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digging in North / Central Texas

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We use that demo hammer whenever we have to go down to Homestead or Florida City along with a generator in the truck bed. The ground down there is pretty much like concrete. As a matter of fact, there are several quarries where they dig up the rock, crush it, and use it in concrete.

First few times I installed signs down there using a breaker bar and posthole diggers (1) 24" deep hole took me well over an hour. I actually gave up installing down there but my biggest customer basically begged me to take up the work again as they could not find anyone reliable in that area. We currently drive 150 miles EACH WAY for them whenever they have something to install down there. I could not dream of doing so without that demo hammer. The ground is so bad, we bought Razorback Post Hole digger at Home Depot with the lifetime guarantee. I believe we are on at least our 10th one now, having only bought two or three :)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Razor-Back-48-in-Fiberglass-Handle-Post-Hole-Digger-78006/100163896

I'll have to give the demo hammer a shot. I have two of those razor backs and they are the best post hole diggers I've ever used.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
No, after 3 years I'm still working on figuring out how to dig those holes.. I'll take your suggestion and try explosives ... oh wait, you said I HAVE to follow safety and regulations? I thought that was optional?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We don't want Tex running around loose with explosives.

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
Mexicans.
Clearly gino is a Mexican't
Fun story, we had a Fedex sign to remove on a certain day. Show up to find the driveway ripped out, ready to be repoured, a culvert, and power lines, so we couldn't lift it with the trucks. There was a crew on site with the excavator that had dug up the driveway, just sitting around waiting for concrete. Luckily it was plate mounted, so we figured on hauling it about 20' to the trailer. Well 4 of us take this sign loose, tip it over, and nearly all fall down with it. As we push it back up and start scratching our heads as to how we are going to haul this, all of the Mexicans in the concrete crew just head on over. They all just laid hands on the thing and help us haul it over to the trailer. Probably 8 guys plus our 4. If I'd had some cash I would have left it with them, they saved me a bill for a 100' crane to reach over the power lines to get this sign picked. Mexicans are the best!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have nothing against mexicans or any other nationality or group, but that is not what she meant and you know it. Don't be a dope. You just joined.

gnubler

Eh? I meant exactly that and there was nothing mean spirited about it. Most Mexicans are hard workers with good attitudes and if there were any around these parts I'd hire them for my installs.

Shred_signs

Lost Member
Have nothing against mexicans or any other nationality or group, but that is not what she meant and you know it. Don't be a dope. You just joined.
What did she mean?

Been around for 7 or 33 years.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good morning travel.......... I see you recently joined this place. Once you're you're here for a while, ya get to know what people say vs what they mean..... especially certain ones. Tongue-in-cheek goes a long way around here.

Many of the people in this community don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground, but they won't admit it. Then, there are others who can help, but look the other way. The last group is just here to watch the trainwrecks and burning fires. Me, I'm here for the entertainment. I'll help, if it's needed, otherwise I like to understand people and as robert would say..... I listen and comment accordingly.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
The last group is just here to watch the trainwrecks and burning fires. Me, I'm here for the entertainment. I'll help, if it's needed, otherwise I like to understand people and as robert would say..... I listen and comment accordingly.
The trainwrecks and burning fires ARE the entertainment.

JBurton

Signtologist
The trainwrecks and burning fires ARE the entertainment.
Tell that to that lady in ohio with 14 children yorkies who can't find a hotel to host them with the stipend that Norfolk is handing out!
giphy.gif

JBurton

Signtologist
:oops: I didn't mean those train wrecks.
Oh ok, then lulz.
Really though, heard this lady complaining on the radio, fortunately she got extra money to find a place for her animals too, and all I could think was how many homeowners are just outside the 1 mile radius that are pulling their hair out over this.