Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital (flatbed) cutter

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Modern Ink Signs, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Ok 101 brain.......

Looking at adding a digital cutter.

Any pros/cons and what you think (if you have one) for....

ZUND G3 L-2500
    COLEX Sharpcut SX
    SUMMA F1832

Cutting your typical materials acm, coro, pvc, foam core. Also vinyl laminated and non-laminated regular cutting and thru cuts

Thanks in advance

Tags:
  2. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    We have a Zund G3 - Oce ProCut version.
    It's a very productive machine that will cut any of those materials quickly and easily.
    Print, scan the barcode and cut.
    You can train new staff to do simple operations on it in about 15 minutes.
    The router auto bit changer is amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I LOVE my Summa F!!! It has done everything I needed it too. I have the 1612, the small one, and have no issues with the size. If budget and space allowed, yes, I would definitely go with the 1832! I have most of their tools, let me know if you have any questions.

• Like Like x 2
  4. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    honestly out of that list, the ZUND is king, but the summa can do almost as much as the zund, not as fast, and not as automated, but it's also like 70k less. I think for an entry level, you can't lose with the summa, then upgrade when you get a bottleneck at your digital finisher. And from my understanding the summas F's have an amazing resale value.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Zund all the way. Yes they are at the top of the price range but it will last forever and finishes everything amazing. Very easy to use. We have had ours 3 years and not 1 tech visit. No need and buying a lower end model to have to eventually upgrade later.

6. Technician

Technician Drive it hard

Apr 24, 2016
    Sweden
    I have the experience to work on both Zünd and Summa as technician. I do installation and repairs on both of them. It is what people saying, Zünd is top of the line but Summa is coming close and closer. Cutting speed is about the same. The difference is in the tools and the router is much better on the Zünd. I should look at how is the support and service is in your area for the different brands? And make a choice from that. If you don’t want to do a more costly investment you go with Summa and trading up later if wanted. As others already told you both machine have a great re selling value. If we ever get in a used Summa or Zünd it’s sold before it’s leaving the old users. I think we even has a waiting list of customer want used cutting tables..
    Good luck in your investment

7. Keith Wright

Keith Wright New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Stoke on trent ,England.
    we run the Kongsberg c44, an amazing bit of machinery..

8. Modern Ink Signs

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Anyone using the Multicam Celero Cutter or the Kongsberg X Edge?

If so what are your thoughts on the machine?

9. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    We love our Zund! Easy to use and is a complete workhorse.

10. Modern Ink Signs

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    <bump>

11. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

We custom cut everything on our Zund. Nothing better for those materials. But your list isn't a fair fight. As others have said, you can buy two of the Summas for one Zund. It would be more useful to pick a price range and then start your comparison.