• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital, Offset, or Latex for decals?

JPR-5690

Im trying to figure out which print method to go with for a specific job, but really any info would be helpful to take into consideration for future jobs as well.

The specific job is for 5x6in decals that are primarily going inside fleet vehicles on dashboards.

I know how I would do it if I were printing the job on vinyl with latex, but if I print them digital/offset I can cut them down on our hydraulic knife in a fraction of the time, not to mention eliminate the need to run them all through the plotter.

Any insight?

- Needs to be on vinyl or similar synthetic (so help me polyester labels are a royal pita to run though)

- I know digital toner and offset inks might not last as long as latex...but does anyone know by how much?

JPR-5690

If I do them sheetwise I can get 5up on a 12x18 sheet, 6up as perfect cuts.
So between 1400 and 1700 impressions...which would usually mean offset for us, but if dry toner is more light-fast than offset ink then we would stick with that.

If I print them wide format, assuming (just to get an idea) that they print on a 54" roll with no margins at all nonstop then Im looking at at least 400 feet of media.

CharlieA

If I do them sheetwise I can get 5up on a 12x18 sheet, 6up as perfect cuts.
So between 1400 and 1700 impressions...which would usually mean offset for us, but if dry toner is more light-fast than offset ink then we would stick with that.

If I print them wide format, assuming (just to get an idea) that they print on a 54" roll with no margins at all nonstop then Im looking at at least 400 feet of media.
Why don't you outsource to a Flexo House? Print Narrow Web. Like Discount Labels?

unclebun

I'm guessing these are some kind of instruction or warning label, containing text and/or simple graphics? If I were doing them, I'd likely have stickers like that screenprinted. I use Stouse for that kind of stuff.