Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Print numbers for personal aircraft?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by Reveal1, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Found several older threads on this regarding wraps of commercial aircraft (a whole different ballgame) , and cut vinyl for smaller aircraft, but not much on digital print. Customer has personal aircraft wanting digital print numbers. Anyone here have experience with this? Does it require FAA approval as with wraps? Special materials? Was thinking cast wrap material like Arlon 6100 that we use on trailers.

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Honestly, I'd ask the customer to verify and provide this information.

3. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The rules are here: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg.../CFR-2017-title14-vol1-part45.xml#seqnum45.21

This is a clarification document which expands on it, and explains that you cannot use removable tape except under certain circumstances of temporary lettering (which is covered in the rule linked above also) https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac 45-2d.pdf

The pdf does say you can use decals in the same paragraph that says you cannot use removable tape. However, the point of that paragraph seems to be that the marking has to be permanent, with removal being difficult.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    I was told if it's a homebuilt darn near anything goes. Interesting chat with a husband/wife team building a plane. They wanted to talk about a wrap. Told them no way I was touching it because of airframe regs. Found out they talked to others that had built the exact planes and wrapped them.(photos were gorgeous) Those people actually talked to the FAA beforehand to get the skinny. Homebuilt is a completely different animal in the eyes of the FAA. Maybe something has changed since I talked to them? Always best to check.

• Like Like x 1
  5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Just wondering why they would want digitally printed numbers. They are supposed to be solid color and shadows and outlines are only allowed when necessary for readability.

6. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Thanks for bringing that up - I'll ask. Hope things are going well over there in the central part of the state.

7. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Thanks all - we decided to use Cast cut vinyl instead. Appreciate the feedback.